It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Build open-source css framework based on atlassian design guidelines

Hi Everyone,

I really like the Atlassian Design and i was thinking about implementing an Open Source "framework" based on Atlassian Design.

I'm thinking this because Atlaskit allows you to use it only on React apps and i want to make it for everyone who, like me is not using it.

Is it legal to use the Atlassian Design System on third party packages? Or is not allowed by their license?

Thank you

1 answer

3 votes
Daniel Eads Atlassian Team Apr 06, 2020

Hey there!

Atlaskit (the React component, etc) are available under an Apache v2 license, so you may use those components for your own purposes. However, the parts of the Atlassian Design Guidelines that include things like Atlassian logos/icons are included in the ADG license, which doesn't allow for extra use. You can check out that license here.

The quick reference would be checking the URL of the page you're looking at - atlaskit.atlassian.com (and all the components therein) is Atlaskit and Apache licensed (ok to modify) but atlassian.design is covered under the ADG license and not available to modify.

Cheers,
Daniel