BUG: no owner of the service in the popup window

JoMi February 8, 2022

Glad to see you again, Atlassian team!

I've noticed one more bug in Compass!

Look at the first screenshot:

compass-2.png

The second screenshot is the same as in BUG #1 (file: compass.yml):

compass-3.png

As you can see the owner is defined in compass.yml but it isn't present in the popup :(

1 comment

Andrew Freedman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2022

Hi Jo — this is so helpful, thank you!

I'm going to pass this onto our wonderful content design team. In Compass we have an ownership concept for components but also for scorecards.

On your first screenshot, I can see the Service readiness scorecard which is unowned. Normally we'd expect scorecards to be owned by engineering managers, SREs or team leads. They're identifying themselves as the person setting engineering policy through that scorecard mechanism.

Additionally, we have the idea of component owners. These are teams, like the "1" team you've created. They're responsible for the component itself and for following the direction provided by the attached scorecards (like the Service readiness scorecard).

In our default Service readiness scorecard we have a criterion that a component needs to have an owner — because you've assigned the "1" team that criterion has been deemed successful.

The compass.yml file only supports describing components presently, so the owner in that config file represents the component owner ("1").

Now, sorry, long winded — I'm so thankful that you raised this because I can see how it's confusing. The product copy reuses the "owner" term in such close proximity that it's not obvious that these are different things. We'll look for ways to clarify this so it's hopefully easier to work with in future.

Thank you!

- Andrew

Like # people like this
JoMi February 12, 2022

Thank you @Andrew Freedman ! I got your idea and fixed the current issue:

2022-02-12_14-57-19.png

Suppose that my title of the owner field will be clearer for your customers, don't you think so

In all the ways you should update the Compass product's documentation and add information from your post to the corresponding documentation page. Suppose that this one:  https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/compass/scorecards/what-is-production-readiness/ 

Best regards!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events