Feature preview: Adding metrics to components

Hello, Dave from the Compass design team, here to share a prototype with you about our first metrics feature - Metrics 1.0.

Compass is designed to help developers be more productive working within a distributed software architecture. We know that developers and teams use a range of tools for monitoring the performance of services and components. Metrics will now allow you to connect those metrics inside of Compass creating a much richer and centralised view for your components and teams.

In this first release you will be able connect metrics using the Atlassian API and a cURL command which is simply added and generated as part of your regular build process. You can get started by using some of our pre-defined metrics or you can create your own custom metrics specific to your teams.

And we’re already working on follow up features like;

• Adding and creating metric thresholds to be used on your Scorecards
  • A global Health view allowing you observe all of your metrics in use across multiple components
  • Support for first and third party tools like Bitbucket and GitHub providing even faster ways to connect and display metrics to your components
  • Displaying your metrics in a rich data visualisation format

Check out the prototype video below, and let us know what you think!

What else do you want to see included with metrics?

What tools are you using and what are you measuring?

How else do you use metrics?

Thanks for taking the time to check out metrics. We anticipate the first version will be live in January 2022.

5 comments

Luke Machowski December 13, 2021

I really love the idea of being able to push metric values for a component using a REST API. Great idea.

I am also really grateful that you provide a configuration for the units of measure for the metric. It's so rare to see reporting tools allow this but it's really important to get the context across intuitively. A really nice touch would be where you can configure the singular and plural form of the units (usually works well as individual format strings or similar).

eg: "0 days", "1 day", "2 days".

"1 Giga Hash/second", "42 Giga Hashes/second"

Like # people like this
Brian W February 2, 2022

Has there been any discussion regarding integrating the concepts of metrics and scorecards? 

As an example, I could see creating a "quality" scorecard that pulls in and weights specific quality related metrics.  It might also require having the ability to set a threshold within the scorecard for each scorecard criteria if it's a metric.

Like Dave Fernandes likes this
Brian W February 2, 2022

I just saw this post which addresses my question.  Thanks!  

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Compass-Alpha-discussions/Feature-Preview-Metrics/td-p/1856747

andrew_pass
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2022

Hi @Dave Fernandes  this is looking awesome and I love this feature!

We've been looking at ways of doing this previously so love the ability to do this in Compass.

We're looking at trying to set up a few metrics at the moment as a proof of concept, is there any documentation around on setting up the pre-defined metrics at all? In particular the Open PRs one? 

We're also looking to play around with trying to get some data firing in from Jenkins so happy to get involved with that if you need any use cases at all.

Cheers,

Andy

P.s also liking how easy it is to import on mass from BB Cloud now as well and the ability to create components via the API opens up a lot of cool possibilities.

Dave Fernandes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2022

Hey @andrew_pass thanks for getting back in touch and for the feedback!

So we do have documentation, take a read over this. All of our metrics (predefined or user generated) are connected the same way calling the REST API with the cURL command, the documentation will explain this in more detail.

We also have a much longer list of predefined metrics as well, including the Open Pull Requests you seek, so check these out too.

Let me know how you go!

Dave

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events