Kudos vs points

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2021

Hi everyone,

I'd like to give some feedback about the naming and understanding of Kudos. I think this has changed with the recent addition how you can give kudos to specific persons - and changing it from selecting the exact amount of points to 10 kudos you can give which are worth 100 points.

kudos-points.png

If I look at the kudos panel, I see kudos mentioned in various locations:

• Recognition
    I can give 10 kudos - and the tooltip explains every kudo is worth 100 points.
  • Past Kudos given
    Shows the Kudos I gave via the recognition tab.
  • Your points tracker
    This section mentions how I earn kudos. This is where my irritation is - because it doesn't seem to be the kudos from the two first sections.
  • Challenges
    Same story as for the points tracker. It mentions how many kudos I can earn by completing the challenge.
  • Entry in the main navigation (to open the kudos panel)
    This also mentions Kudos next to my (points) number.

Suggestions

• Rename kudos to points in the Your points tracker and Challenges sections.
  • Leave it as kudos in the main navigation - since this is about the entry to giving kudos and not really a label for the points.

Hope this helps - happy to hear your insights or other suggestions.

3 comments

Comment

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
May 6, 2021

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ I think your suggestions make a ton of sense! Looking forward to seeing others thoughts.  

Like # people like this
David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 7, 2021

Now that you bring it up... The Kudos number reminds me of an airline frequent flier program. The airline points are usually called miles, and you earn miles by flying, making purchases on branded credit cards, or other bonus earning opportunities. 

So, are we earning Kudos or Points (ie challenges) or what? Whatever it is, it needs to be consistent, just like airlines use the term "miles" for points earned through purchases or bonuses.

Personally, I think using the term Kudos makes sense. So, I would suggest that the Points Tracker be renamed to Kudos tracker. Also, in the Points Tracker section, the entries like "earned a bonus for answering a question" should be "earned Kudos for answering a question".

The Leaderboard in the Kudos Panel also needs an update for consistency. Change the term "Points" to "Kudos".

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

+1 for consistency.

I don't care about the exact names in too much detail, but following your thoughts, how would you name in the Recognition panel the items you can give to someone else? Mainly the sentence:

You have 10 kudos available to give.

If you name all the points kudos, you would also need to rename these kudos to sth. else. And I can't think of a good name here.

So I think, I'd still appreciate my previous suggestion and how @Brant Schroeder stated it, Individuals should give kudos, summarizes my opinion very well.

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 7, 2021

@Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ I think these are great suggestions that make it very clear as to what is what.  I agree that individuals should give kudos and that completing items gives you points and points are tracked.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events