Hi! Just testing out this Kudos pilot by trying out a few things, like posting!

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2020

I'm a lifelong QA  - so I have a compulsion to try things just to see what happens.  Here's what I'm finding so far:

Ways to get Kudos:
- Join a Group (only works once so far, 70pts)
- Post a post (big points! )
- Answering questions (big points)

Questions:
- How can this system be gamed?  (this isn't a question I am expecting anyone to answer, this is what I ask myself when I am exploring a system. If I understand what affects the points, I can use that to apply pressure to places that may not deal well with it).

- How do people have hundred(s) of points already?  (answer questions, filling out profile, following prompts)

You are welcome to just reply with whatever on this post, I am curious about how that may affect your Kudos too.

Edit - If you're seeing notifications about this post and don't want to, you need to go opt-out, as explained in the post below (Atlassian Post, not mine).

I have not intentionally notified anyone, nor do I control who is notified when posts are made.  If you have replied to this post, you're probably also watching it now.  Make sure you un-watch it.
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Community-Kudos-Pilot/gp-p/lotus

6 comments

Comment

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 26, 2020

160 points before this comment...

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Comments do not affect your total Kudos. 

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 26, 2020

@Chris Buzon thanks for trying stuff out, that's definitely the idea!

Like Chris Buzon likes this
Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

Based on the less-than-friendly response my test post is getting, I think you might want to invite people into this group but perhaps not send notifications or emails unless they opt in :)

Firas Amer October 26, 2020

I'd like to understand why I received notifications about this post...

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 26, 2020

@Firas Amer since you joined this group (the welcome center) than you would automatically be notified of posts in it. You can click the little "Watching" eyeball at the top and un-watch this thread. 

Matthew Swint October 26, 2020

Hi Monique, I'll follow the instruction to 'unwatch' the group, but please know these notifications have apparently gone out to a lot of people who did not explicitly ask for them, like myself. Also, this group seems to be called the "Community Kudos Pilot" and not "The Welcome Center" group, neither of which I signed up for voluntarily. I'm presuming that's the case for the others who are complaining about getting notifications out of the blue.

It might be good for Atlassian to not automatically join Community members to groups they didn't explicitly join on their own.

Like # people like this
Firas Amer October 26, 2020

yeah, that is not working ....

JiraYo
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

your 'test' messages are being emailed to me. Please test this on your own system and not clutter up my inbox with your spam. Who knows how many people you are sending this to? i certainly didnt sign up for this. Be more careful please.

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Community-Kudos-Pilot/gp-p/lotus

You need to opt-out, I don't control notifications for others. That's good feedback, but not actionable by me.

Like Monique vdB likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2020

@JiraYo hopefully you saw my message above, but if you want to un-watch this group you can go here and then click Unwatch under the description:

Screen Shot 2020-10-26 at 9.56.08 AM.png

Greg Sanderson October 26, 2020

I come here for help and answers to questions or problems, I care very little about online points system. If said system alters the way in which I receive help etc then it's something to discuss. Otherwise, honestly I don't care.

Even if someone could game the points/kudos system, does it matter? In fact, even if it can why would public care so much? Surely this is a scenario for Atlassian as the business to care about?

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2020

@Greg Sanderson fair enough!

I do want to say that the system is designed to help you get faster and better answers to your questions. For example:

• Being able to earn kudos for answering questions means some people might be more motivated to answer questions. This means your questions should get answered faster.
  • We now offer bonus points and expertise badges for providing helpful solutions. That means people will want to make sure their solutions are helpful to you! So you will get high-quality answers.

It may not feel like something you should care about, and it's more than okay if you don't! But the program is designed to be helpful to our users coming here for help, for sure. 

That said, let me know what you'd like to do and I can help with any or all of these:

• Leave this group so you don't see any posts about the pilot
  • Opt out of the pilot completely 
  • Turn off all badge notifications completely

And if I can help you in any other way, let me know. 

Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 26, 2020

This seems pretty interesting!

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 26, 2020

My feedback so far:

* Editing profile data is not enough to trigger "complete profile data" task. Do all fields ned to be completed?

* "Login for the first time" is not showing as completed even though have have logged out and back in and had the pop up about the beta program display.

* I am already am member of many groups. Am I supposed to "game" this by removing myself and re-joining some groups?

* Tasks are duplicate on Trending Teams

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 11.23.03 AM.png

This program seems quite "noisy" with the recent achievement feed. There also seems to be a delay between something being checked off in "next challenges" and that challenge moving to the trophy case.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2020

@Kat Warner Pilot Participant isn't working for me either and was reported earlier.  That seems to be a known bug. 

Regarding groups, the Welcome post addresses this:

"What about the stuff I've already done? For the pilot, your activity is not retroactive. (In other words, your previous activity on the community won't count.)  In moving forward with the full program, we will give you credit for your previous activity. "

So short version is yes, you should leave and re-join; adding retroactive activity was out of scope for the pilot.

The other two bugs will be added to our list! Thank you!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
October 26, 2020

(Oh and the feedback about noisiness, etc.) 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events