Atlassian Bake off: Ace-inspired curry puffs!

Hey Atlassian Community,

My Atlassian Bake Off activity was trying to make my mom's famous Malaysian curry puffs (also known as "karipap"). I have family friends that use a recipe similar to this online recipe, but my mom's recipe uses beef, puff pastry, and a spectacular egg wash with a neat design along the edges created by using a fork.

I've always watched her make them and they've been a super star dish at family potlucks and church fundraisers, but this past month was the first time I actually committed to trying it on my own. It went pretty well, if I do say so myself!

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 11.45.26 AM.jpg

The amounts in this recipe are an estimate, but feel free to adjust to taste.

Ingredients

Filling:

• 4 medium sized russet or yukon potatoes
  • 1 pound ground beef (or substitute)
  • 1 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp salt (add more to taste)
  • A pinch of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of water

Wrapper + wash:

Directions

To make the filing:

Peel and cut the potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Add oil to a pan on medium heat and add potato and cook, 5 mins. Add ground beef, curry powder, chili powder, sugar, salt and cook until no red remains in the meat.

Then add water, cover and reduce to a simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potato is tender. Remove from heat and let cool for 1-2 hours.

To assemble the puffies:

Remove puff pastry sheets from freezer and let defrost until stretchy, but still cold. Unfold each sheet and use a knife to cut each sheet into its 3 folded sections. Then cut each section into 3 pieces so you end up with 9 squares that are roughly 3" x 3".

Use a hand roller to roll each square until it is smooth, stretchy, and twice its size. Use a tablespoon to scoop filling into each square, then fold diagonally and pinch along the edge. Use a fork to press along the edge to seal with a hatched design.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 11.54.38 AM.jpg

My attempt at carving in an "Ace" logo

Top with egg wash:

Whisk 2 egg yolks in a small bowl, and use a brush to apply to tops of puffs.

Screen Shot 2021-12-10 at 11.52.54 AM.jpg

Faint Ace logo!

Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Enjoy!

3 comments

Comment

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

Yes please!!

Like Sharon Tan likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2021

I love curry, that looks so yummy and surprisingly easy to make!

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2021

This is a great recipe! I love curry so I'll definitely try this one 🤤

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events