Topic Tuesday: What I Wish I Had Known

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2018

A couple of thing spurred this topic for me this week.  First a great set of posts in the Welcome Center, 3 things I wish I'd have known. (shameless plug, you can check out mine here) about starting out in the Atlassian Community, and of course changing jobs and having to learn a new environment and even a new tool.  Jira Service Desk!

Image result for work memecat

So what I'd love to hear from you guys, is what are some of the things you wish you had known as a new user of the any of the Atlassian products? We can collect them here and share with some of our new group attendees!

1 comment

Comment

Amanda Kirk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2018

One thing I wish I knew sooner is that if a custom field isn't being used on any screen, that doesn't mean it is not being used! Removing some, I found out the hard way, really messed up some add-on functionality (specifically, Xray). What you want to look for instead is custom fields with no context. If it doesn't have a context, it is not being used!

Also, be mighty careful with editing any shared schemes, especially the field configuration scheme. If you make a field required, even if it isn't on a screen, it is still required, which was counterintuitive to me (I figured, when I first started, that if I didn't have it on a screen, the 'required' would not be enforced. Wrong-O!

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2018

The required field threw me too!  Fun if you just want to mess with people though.  LOL.

Anja Brkljacic December 6, 2018

I wish I was aware of the ScriptRunner plugin earlier and just HOW helpful it would turn out to be. For everyone that has access to a developer to do Jira scripting for them, Scriptrunner is a life saver. It's helped us customize workflows more by allowing us to create specific subtasks on specific transitions, hide fields easily with behaviours, and many other things. I'd say it's a must have. 

Like # people like this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events