support of parallelism with per test coverage data

Hi,

I would like to understand a couple of thinks regarding Clover coverage tool.

As we know, surefire / failsafe has some parallel strategy for running tests, meaning - one can run his tests with a number of threads or processes. (https://maven.apache.org/surefire/maven-surefire-plugin/examples/fork-options-and-parallel-execution.html)

I saw, in the following link (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVER/Using+Distributed+Per-test+Coverage) that in clover configuration, one have to configure the parameter "forkMode" = once, which is equals to running only one process.

Some environment background: 
we are using jenkins as a CI server, maven to build our app surefire / failsafe for running our tests. 

I wanted to know, 

can we collect coverage per test when running surefire / failsafe in parallel mode ? (threads or processes) with clover ?

Thanks,

Tom.

1 answer

0 votes

You can't.

The reason is that Clover's per-test coverage feature is based on timing, not on threads. So it means that whenever given test starts and finishes, Clover calculates coverage delta - thanks to this we know what has been added to the coverage in the meantime - and this is the "per-test". Clover does not distinguish which thread generated the coverage.

Of course you can measure global coverage with surefire's parallel mode.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Ops

Jira Ops Early Access Program Update #1: Announcing our next feature and a new integration

Thanks for signing up for Jira Ops! I’m Matt Ryall, leader for the Jira Ops product team at Atlassian. Since this is a brand new product, we’ll be delivering improvements quickly and sharing updates...

182 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you