Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

python functional tests do not generate clover coverage

Matt Cheung January 6, 2015

Hi folks, hopefully this is a noob issue that I haven't been able to find the answer to...

I'm trying to generate code coverage numbers from our python functional tests.  Whenever, I generate the reports, it gives me 0 tests run, 0% test coverage.  I am able to generate unittest coverage numbers though.

Here are the steps that I'm taking when trying to get the python functional test numbers:

mvn clean package -DskipTests

mvn clover2:setup compile

<cd to python tests, export PYTHONPATH, run tests>

<cd back to where the main pom.xml is>

mvn clover2:aggregate clover2:clover

As mentioned earlier, when I take a look at the report it says I have executed 0 tests, and have 0% test coverage.  I do not see any errors when generating the report, or executing the python tests.

I thought that things could possibly be because we kill off processes at the end of each functional test, so I added the following to the main pom.xml as suggested by the doc:

<plugin>
    <groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>
    <artifactId>maven-clover2-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <flushPolicy>interval</flushPolicy>
        <flushInterval>5000</flushInterval>
        <!-- <targetPercentage>75%</targetPercentage> -->
    </configuration>
    <version>4.0.2</version>
</plugin>

and I inserted a 1 second sleep statement prior to killing of the processes in the python scripts.  I do see the print statements indicating it is sleeping before the kill.

Still, I do not see any tests run or any test coverage %. 

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

1 answer

1 vote
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2015

You wrote that you have called the following commands:

mvn clean package -DskipTests

mvn clover2:setup compile

I suspect that what happens here is:

• first 'mvn' call compiles code without Clover and creates JAR files, so your application is not instrumented
  • second mvn call runs
    • 'clover2:setup' - Clover instruments files and creates a clover.db file (so later you can see these classes in a report), but
    • 'compile' command does not compile anything because classes have been already compiled and packaged in a first step (could you check your build logs to confirm this, please?)

As a consequence, your python tests are running with a non-instrumented application and no coverage is recorded. Next, 'mvn clover2:clover' is called which generates a report using 'clover.db' (as it was prepared during 'clover2:setup'), but with 0% coverage.

I guess that you should call it like this:

mvn clean clover2:setup package -DskipTests

...run python tests...

mvn clover2:aggregate clover2:clover

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 6, 2015

One more thing. I've noticed that you have flushInterval=5 seconds and at the same time you have 1-second sleep before killing the JVM.

Matt Cheung January 7, 2015

Marek thanks for the response! You seem to be right--since I was doing a mvn clean package, the jars would not be instrumented. However, after I run mvn clean clover2:setup package -DskipTests when trying to start the processes I get the following: objc[29788]: Class JavaLaunchHelper is implemented in both /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java and /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libinstrument.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined. Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com_atlassian_clover/TestNameSniffer ... Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com_atlassian_clover.TestNameSniffer at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366) at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355) at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425) at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308) at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358) ... 1 more I haven't been able to figure out which plugin is causing things to croak, so I include the path to the clover.jar file in the command and that results in the following: objc[30396]: Class JavaLaunchHelper is implemented in both /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/bin/java and /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home/jre/lib/libinstrument.dylib. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined. SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder". SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation (NOP) logger implementation SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#StaticLoggerBinder for further details. SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticMDCBinder". SLF4J: Defaulting to no-operation MDCAdapter implementation. SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#no_static_mdc_binder for further details. This happens even if I have my java_home set to /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.7.0_60.jdk/Contents/Home

Matt Cheung January 7, 2015

Actually, nevermind the latter, it looks like there is something else at issue here.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
January 8, 2015

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError This is related with missing clover.jar on the class path (KB article about it: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/lwjoEg), so your decision to add clover.jar was correct. > SLF4J: Failed to load class "org.slf4j.impl.StaticLoggerBinder". Clover does not use SLF4J, so it must be something wrong in your application.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events