What is the difference between files and fileset option in the clover-setup task?

The <clover-setup> has two similar tags:

• <files>
  • <fileset>

In both of them we can specify inclusion/exclusion pattern for instrumentation.

What are the differencies?

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

The <files> is an Ant's PatternSet. It means that you do not specify any root directory, but only path fragments for inclusion/exclusion patterns.

The <fileset> is an Ant's DirSet. Therefore it has a "dir" attribute and uses a standard Ant's DirectoryScanner to find sources for inclusion/exclusion.

But there are more differencies.

Because of fact that <fileset> is a DirSet, it is being resolved by Ant at the time when it processes the <clover-setup> task configuration. It means that base directory specified in the "dir" attribute as well as source files to be included/excluded must be present at the time when the <clover-setup> task is called.

It has implication for instance in case when you use Clover and generate sources and want to exclude them. In such case you have to ensure that <clover-setup> is called after source generation (otherwise sources won't be put into Clover's exclusion list).

Alternatively, you could switch to the <files> PatternSet.

Because of fact that <files> is a PatternSet, it is being resolved by Clover at the time when it instrument sources, i.e. at the moment when the <javac> task (intercepted by Clover) is called.

It means that files do not have to be present at the time when <clover-setup> is called in order to be properly included/excluded.

And how paths defined in the <files> PatternSet are matched against sources?

Well, they're being matched against source roots passed to <javac>. So you shall define values of includes/excludes attributes as paths relative to the <javac srcdir="..."> attribute.

This widget could not be displayed.

There is one more difference between the <files> and the <fileset>. First one performs the same pattern matching on all source roots. Second one has the "dir" attribute, which you can use to restrict pattern matching to certain source roots.

Imagine a case in which you have "src" and "test" folders, both containing the "com.acme" package (among other packages) and that you want to exclude it from instrumentation.

&lt;files&gt;&lt;excludes name="com/acme/**"&gt;&lt;/files&gt;

excludes "com.acme.*" from both the "src" and the "test" folders.

&lt;fileset dir="test"&gt;&lt;excludes name="com/acme/**"&gt;&lt;/fileset&gt;

excludes "com.acme.*" from the "test" folder only.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Wednesday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

139 views 2 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you