Older Clovered Version

Samvel Israelyan October 22, 2014

Hi,

When I build my project issuing a cleanup first, I see messages saying the following:

[WARNING] Using [com.vmware....1.0-SNAPSHOT], built on Thu Oct 23 04:09:12 PDT 2014 even though a Clovered version exists but it's older (lastModified: Fri Oct 10 00:21:13 PDT 2014 ) and could fail the build. Please consider running Clover again on that dependency's project.

I checked the local repository and found the JAR that the message points to.

Should I delete older versions of the instrumented JARs from my local ".m2/repository" directory before the next instrumentation and the build of the app is initiated?

If I don't delete older JARs from the local repo, does it mean that no instrumentation and build will be initiated on those JARS that have already once been installed to the local repo?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 26, 2014

Hi Samvel,

There is no need to delete older versions of instrumented JARs. Deleting any *-clover.jar files will actually not change anything (just the above warning will disappear). You shall rather rebuild that dependent module with Clover.

The error message "Using ... even though a Clovered version exists" means the following:

Let's say you have a project containing of two modules: 'rocket' and 'engine' and that the 'rocket' module has a dependency to the 'engine' module. Let's say you will call clover2:instrument on the 'engine' module - Maven will install the engine-<version>-clover.jar artifact in your ~/.m2 cache. Now, let's say that you will run another build and run the 'clover2:instrument' on the 'rocket' module.

Which engine*.jar Clover shall take? The original one (engine-<version>.jar) or the instrumented one (engine-<version>-clover.jar)? Clover has a policy that it will take the newer JAR (unless time stamps do not vary too much - see https://docs.atlassian.com/maven-clover2-plugin/latest/setup-mojo.html#cloveredArtifactExpiryInMillis option). Even if it means that the non-instrumented JAR would be picked up (and thus there would be no code coverage recorded for that dependent module). Why? Because, otherwise, the outdated, but instrumented JAR could fail a build (for instance, an API could have been changed in that dependent module).

See also:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVERKB/Warning+about+older+Clovered+artifact+version+during+multi-module+Maven+build

Cheers
Marek

Samvel Israelyan October 28, 2014

Thanks for the answer Marek.

In regards to my question,  would like to double check one more thing.

I used to build my web application using the following command:

mvn com.atlassian.maven.plugins:maven-clover2-plugin:3.3.0:setup install -DskipTests=true Dmaven.clover.cloverDatabase=<path_to_database> -Dmaven.clover.licenseLocation=<license_location>

When the above mentioned command is executed, I normally get ~273 warnings about older clovered artifacts.

I changed the script and now I build the app usin:

mvn com.atlassian.maven.plugins:maven-clover2-plugin:3.3.0:instrument ...

Now I am getting ~73 warnings.

Did the change instrument and use more instrumented artifacts?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events