MyEclipse 10.1 (Eclipse 3.7.2) Clover Plugin support

Adam Resnick September 19, 2012

Used to be able to run Clover entirely within MyEclipse 10.0 (Eclipse 3.?), but once I upgraded to MyEclipse 10.1 (Eclipse 3.7.2), I could no longer do this

Tried to fix things by upgrading to the the latest versions of the Clover plugins and obtaining (a trial version) of the latest Clover license, but no luck.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with MyEclipse 10.1 or Eclipse 3.7.2 and if so, how did you fix things?

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adam Resnick October 9, 2012

IBM JRE Object.hashCode() method can generate negative values, this causes Clover to generate coverage files that don't match Clover's coverage filename regular expression (and hence, aren't found by the tool)

Here is the bug report

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CLOV-1151

Revised (dev build) version of the Clover plugin (and tools) fixed the issue. I believe this fix will be a part of the Clover 3.1.8 release.

1 vote
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 19, 2012

Hi Adam,

I was able to install and use Clover-for-Eclipse 3.1.7 with MyEclipse 10.6. Steps:

1) Installation

Open Help > MyEclipse Configuration Center, select Software tab, click "add site" link and point to http://update.atlassian.com/eclipse/clover, next select "Clover 3" and "Clover 3 Ant Support" features from the "Personal Sites" list, right click on them and choose "Add to profile"; click "Apply 2 changes" in "Pending Changes" box; restart IDE.

2) Usage

I took the "MoneyBags" from Clover tutorial as sample. No difference between Eclipse and MyEclipse regarding usage. However, please note that by default you will have the "MyEclipse Java" perspective opened and you have to switch to "Java" in order to see Clover buttons like "Run with Clover as..." or "Run optimized".

Regards
Marek

Adam Resnick September 25, 2012

Hi Marek

Here's what I figured out last night.

https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/88675/myeclipse-10-1-eclipse-3-7-2-clover-plugin-support/90314

Any chance you can answer whether you would expect the Clover plugins to be compatible with an IBM 1.6 JDK?

Adam

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2012

I've found a difference in Object.hashCode() implementations in IBM JRE and Oracle JRE, resulting in bug in Clover so that statistically only half of coverage snapshot files are found and fetched by Coverage Explorer view. Bug fix CLOV-1151 is scheduled for 3.1.8 release.

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
September 26, 2012

Clover should work with IBM JDK. However, could you raise an issue on support.atlassian.com, please? I'd like to get more details from you and investigate it further.

0 votes
Adam Resnick September 25, 2012

I just found the issue. The Clover plugins work fine if my project uses a Sun/Oracle 1.6 JDK/JRE (I’ve used both MyEclipse’s bundled 1.6.0_13 JDK and a 1.6.0_33-b05 jre I downloaded from Oracle successfully). The Clover plugins don’t work (i.e. I see no coverage statistics) if my project uses an IBM (WAS8) 1.6 JDK/JRE (see below for the JDK/JRE particulars). I’m a bit surprised by this since we are successfully able to use clover in our ant scripts and these scripts (to the best of my knowledge) use the same IBM (WAS8) 1.6 JDK/JRE as was/is used in my IDE.

Any ideas why the plugins don’t work on projects using an IBM (WAS8) 1.6 JDK/JRE (or at least the JDK/JRE described below)?

C:\PublicPrograms\WebSphere\WAS4D80\java\bin>java -version

java version "1.6.0"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pwa6460_26fp1-20110419_01)

IBM J9 VM (build 2.6, JRE 1.6.0 Windows 7 amd64-64 20110418_80450 (JIT enabled,AOT enabled)

J9VM - R26_Java626_GA_FP1_20110418_1915_B80450

JIT - r11_20110215_18645ifx8

GC - R26_Java626_GA_FP1_20110418_1915_B80450

J9CL - 20110418_80450)

JCL - 20110401_01

Adam

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
September 20, 2012

Hi Adam,

I suggest to install MyEclipse from scratch and next add Clover to it. Thanks to this you will know whether it's a problem with Clover itself or whether it's a bug in MyEclipse related with plugin upgrades and/or MyEclipse upgrades.

Cheers
Marek

0 votes
Adam Resnick September 20, 2012

Marek

Looking a bit more at my Eclipse configuration, I now see something very weird. Even though I tried to install the Clover 3 3.1.7 version of the plugins from your update site, my Eclipse configuration is (seemingly) showing that what is really installed are Clover 2 3.1.0 versions of these items.

Any idea how this is possible?

Adam

0 votes
Adam Resnick September 20, 2012

Hi Marek

Here is a more detailed explanation of my problem

1. I have no problem installing the plugins
  2. I have no problem enabling clover on a particular project and (seemingly) instrumenting the test code (clover is generating a coverage.db file in the .clover directory)
  3. I (seemingly) have no problem having Clover run test cases and generate coverage statistics (I see a bunch of coverage.dbto6X0... files in the .clover directory)
  4. My problem is that no matter how many/few test cases I run, Clover shows no code coverage in ANY of my project classes. I've checked my plugin's flush policy and it is set to 1s in a seperate thread, so I should get updates. I've also tried manually reloading the coverage recording, but that doesn't work either

Hopefully, this gives you a better idea of what may be my issue

As for upgrading, I have not moved to the latest version of MyEclipse. While I'm not against doing so, it's not my first option, so if there is any way to get things working in 10.1, I'd really appreciate it.

Adam

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2012

Could you also be more precise regarding what is wrong with Clover on MyEclipse? For example: were you able to install Clover plugin? do you have some exceptions in ErrorLog? do you have compilation errors? are you able to enable Clover on a Java project? etc...

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
September 19, 2012

Have you tried to use the latest version, i.e. MyEclipse 10.6?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events