How do I get code coverage in Project A from running tests from Project B

Bharat Mistry February 8, 2016

I am new to clover and have an evaluation license.  I would like to have a code coverage report of code that is called by a user via REST API's.   The REST calls are made throught JUNIT and various supporting libaries for HTTP/JSON libaries etc.  I have tried various scenarious and have not been successfull in intrumenting the code and getting a reports.

The project structure is as follows

Parent

--- Modules related to project     --- Project A     Src     Unit Tests        --- Project B (Tests executed via Rest Calls).     Src (no code here)     Test Src (all tests to be executed here)            --- Other projects   ---   ---  

When tests  a run a container is started and the war from Project A is placed in this container and then the tests are run.

I initially instrumented the code in Project A and then run the tests from project B.  When A report was generated I found that the results I had expected where not there.  Basically some methods that should have had a coverage report of lets say 80% and more had 0% percent.

I am not sure what I need to do to get  such a test working.

I had added the following section in the POM file and ran the command as mvn clover2:instrument. This created the relvent structure and files in Project A.

<plugin>     <groupId>com.atlassian.maven.plugins</groupId>     <artifactId>maven-clover2-plugin</artifactId>     <version>4.0.6</version>     <configuration>      <licenseLocation>clover.license</licenseLocation>     </configuration>    </plugin>

I would have expected that when I run project B  as follows  this would have generated updated the clover database files etc.    call mvn --log-file %LogFile% clean install -fae integration-test -PacceptTests (other JVM setting etc port number etc)    Then I ran clover2:clover in project A, expecting a full report, but got a report that did not relate to tests in Project B.  

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 8, 2016

1) You ran clover2:instrument which forks a parallel build life cycle. Thus, code instrumented by Clover gets packaged into JAR files with the "-clover" suffix. I suspect that the WAR you deployed contained non-instrumented code. Please try running "clover2:setup" instead, which will instrument code in a main build cycle. For instance: "mvn clean clover2:setup".

2) I'm not sure how did you define dependency between ProjectB and ProjectA and how do you launch in-container tests, but it's quite probably that the WAR is being picked from the ~/.m2/repository folder. Am I correct? If yes, then you shall also install code instrumented by Clover locally, e.g.: "mvn clean clover2:setup install".

3) You wrote that you ran "clover2:clover" goal to generate the report - in case your project has more than 1 module, you shall also merge databases from all modules before report generation - in order to have one consolidated report. Thus, call the "clover2:aggregate clover2:clover".

4) I see that you're using Clover 4.0.6. Please note that the latest version is Clover 4.1.1, in which the Maven plugin is named 'clover-maven-plugin' and goals have the "clover:" prefix (instead of "clover2:"). 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events