Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coverage recording files are not being generated, coverage results in 0%

JP March 1, 2015

All my code coverage reports show 0% coverage.  After some debugging, I see that no recording files are being generated after instrumenting, compiling, and running tests.  The only file I see is the clover-coverage.db file in my module directories but no clover-coverage.db#####_#### files.  

The report generation succeeds and generates the html reports but all of them show 0% coverage.

The order of steps I'm taking is:

<clover-setup initstring="${location_of_db}" flushpolicy="threaded" flushinterval="100000"/>

compileJava

compileTests

runTests

generateReport

What am I doing wrong?  How can I get the recording files to generate? Would greatly appreciate any help.

2 answers

0 votes
JP March 2, 2015

Hi Marek,

1) Yes I do a distclean and call clover-clean and <clover-setup> before compiling.  I call <clover-setup> in a loop with the initstring set to each module directory so that each module has a clover-coverage.db within it.  

<clover-setup initstring="${module.coverage.data.dir}"/clover-coverage.db" flushpolicy="threaded" flushinterval="100000">

This gives me:

${core.home}/modules/moduleA/clover-coverage.db

${core.home}/modules/moduleB/clover-coverage.db

${core.home}/modules/moduleC/clover-coverage.db

${core.home}/modules/moduleZ/clover-coverage.db

Here's a snippet of the log during <clover-setup>

[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-clover2-plugin:3.1.12:setup (clover-instrument) @ gen ---
[INFO] Clover Version 3.1.12, built on June 27 2013 (build-899)
[INFO] Loaded from: {core.home}/com/cenqua/clover/clover/3.1.12/clover-3.1.12.jar
[INFO] Clover: Commercial License registered to
[INFO] Creating new database at '{module.coverage.data.dir}/modules/gen/clover-coverage.db'.
[INFO] Processing files at 1.6 source level.
[INFO] Clover all over. Instrumented 48 files (6 packages).
[INFO] Elapsed time = 0.532 secs. (90.226 files/sec, 24,943.609 srclines/sec)-
[INFO] Performing incremental build
[INFO]
[INFO] Incremental build configuration change detected, performing full build
[INFO] Compiling 48 sources to {core.home}/gen/target/classes
[INFO] Clover all over. Instrumented 1019 files (7 packages).
[INFO] Elapsed time = 8.346 secs. (122.094 files/sec, 16,982.027 srclines/sec)
[INFO] --- udd-gen-maven-plugin:1.0.0.generation:generate-pljava (pljava) @ udd-constants ---
[INFO] Incremental build configuration change detected, performing full build
reading SqlTypes.sql
reading GeneratedSqlTypes.sql
[INFO]
[INFO] --- maven-clover2-plugin:3.1.12:setup (clover-instrument) @ udd-constants ---
[INFO] Clover Version 3.1.12, built on June 27 2013 (build-899)
[INFO] Loaded from: {core.home}/com/cenqua/clover/clover/3.1.12/clover-3.1.12.jar
[INFO] Clover: Commercial License registered to 
[INFO] Creating new database at '{module.coverage.data.dir}/modules/udd-constants/clover-coverage.db'.
[INFO] Processing files at 1.6 source level.
[INFO] Clover all over. Instrumented 3305 files (6 packages).
[INFO] Elapsed time = 5.419 secs. (609.891 files/sec, 31,167.928 srclines/sec)

After I compile java, I compile the tests.  Then I run an entire suite of tests from all the modules.  Since this takes about 17 hours, I use the flushpolicy to make sure it's getting written to disk.  After the tests are complete, I generate the report, and see they're all 0.

I will check that we use inheritRefs=true in all the ant calls in my build.  

2) Our test code exists in the same main directory but under a different folder called "test":

moduleA

.../java/src

.../test/

Is there an exception I should search for to check that it's able to find the db at runtime?

3) I'm using flushpolicy=threaded with flushinterval="100000" since we don't shut down the 

Please let me know if you need more info or I've left anything out.  Our log file is quite large due to the number of tests executed so hope I got you the information you asked for.  Thanks Marek!

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2015

I'd like to clarify few things: 1) In the build log I see: [INFO] Creating new database at '{module.coverage.data.dir}/modules/gen/clover-coverage.db'. As you can see, a path contains {module.coverage.data.dir} which is rather incorrect. Unless you've obfuscated the original log? 2) On the one hand I see that your build log is based on Maven: [INFO] --- maven-clover2-plugin:3.1.12:setup (clover-instrument) @ udd-constants --- but on the other hand you wrote that you're using Ant. Which build system do you use? Both? If yes, then how do you call Clover-for-Ant from Maven? 3) You wrote that: Our test code exists in the same main directory but under a different folder called "test": How did you configure this different source root?

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2015

PS: feel free to create a ticket at http://support.atlassian.com and attach build files and logs - having complete view of your project setup can speed up my investigation.

JP March 3, 2015

Thanks Marek for the response! Yes, I obfuscated the original log and we're using both maven and ant at the moment. I will create a ticket and attach the entire build log.

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
March 2, 2015

May I ask you to attach a build log, please? It's hard to tell what could be the root cause, without knowing more details about the build.

The most common causes of lack of code coverage are:

1) Source files were not instrumented by Clover

- did you call "clean" in your workspace? if not then source files may have been already compiled in previous builds (without Clover) and thus <javac> did not compile anything,

- did you call <clover-setup> before <javac>? check order of your targets in a build log,

- do you call <ant> or <antcall> tasks in your bulid? if yes, then ensure that inheritRefs=true attribute is set; otherwise, things set by <clover-setup> will be lost in sub-module calls and <javac> will be called without Clover

2) Clover database cannot be found at runtime

- this usually occurs when a relative path is used in <clover-setup initstring=""> and tests/application are running in a different working directory (deployed to Tomcat, for instance)

- either use absolute path in initstring to solve a problem of different working directory or

- use -Dclover.initstring JVM property at runtime pointing to database location

3) Clover did not flush coverage data to disk

- this can happen when the default flush policy is being used - in such case coverage recording files are written to disk only once - at JVM shutdown

- which means that if JVM is killed (kill -9) then no coverage will be available

- which also means that if JVM is not stopped after tests (a Tomcat server running permanently, for instance) then no coverage will be available

- which also may happen if you have <junit> with fork="false" - unit tests are running in the same JVM and coverage is not written until build is finished; which means that report generation may occur for no coverage data

solutions:

- use "threaded" or "interval" flush policy

- use <junit> with fork=true

- do not use 'kill -9' to stop JVM

Cheers
Marek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events