Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clover on J2EE: Manual Testing

garriual November 22, 2011

I'm new to Clover and I would like to apply test coverage to a J2EE web application with Websphere server. I am wondering that is it possible to run it without providing junit test cases ? in other words, is it possible to execute test cases from the browser on the fly since it's a web application ? for example, the user will be clicking around on the browser, and Clover will be sitting on the back tracking which method or class from which servlet that is being called and excuted, and then generate a report at the end based on that.

If so, can you give me instructions or example on how to do it on Eclipse ?

2 answers

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2012

Yes, you can measure code coverage for any code which has been instrumented, no matter whether it's executed as a unit test or manually.

In order to run server-based test you will need to change flushing policy to "threaded" or "interval" (unless you will shutdown Websphere). More details on Working+with+Distributed+Applications and Using+a+Flush+Policy pages.

In order to have single coverage report from all kinds of tests you have to merge clover.db files - e.g. via command line tool CloverMerge or Ant clover-merge task.

Please note that:

• in case of manual testing, you won't be able to use test optimization feature (as there are no JUnit/TestNG testcases)
  • it's advisable to run manual/QA tests on development environment and not on production (as instrumentation adds memory/cpu overhead, might change race conditions etc)
banoss June 13, 2012

I've just found this after asking myself https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/62200/no-coverage-being-generated-from-weblogic-hosted-instrumented-ear

I've followed these isntructions with no coverage output being produced. Is there additional troubleshooting/debug information available?

Thanks,

Banos.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2012

I mentioned about merging of database files, but this has to be done after running tests. In general we have two approaches for multi-module builds:

1. create separate clover.db for every module, run every module (they can be executed separetely), next merge coverage results into one cloverMerge.db (using the clover2:merge goal) and generate a coverage report or
  2. create single clover.db for whole application (using the singleCloverDatabase property for clover2:instrument or clover2:setup goals), run whole application, (no need to merge), next generate a coverage report

Regards
Marek

0 votes
RamakrishnanS April 9, 2012

I have the same question. In our sprint lifecycle, progression of tests is as follows:

0. Develop unit (JUnit) tests

1. Sanity tests ahead of hand over to QA

2. QA tests

3. Full regression test (priori to FCS)

I would like to build uo coverage metrics cumulatively fro (0) through (3).

Would Clover enable me to do this? Pl note that tests (2) and (3) are most likely executed by hand (using the

web interface).

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events