Clover coverage in distributed setup(servers in DMZ)

Abhinav Nallagundla April 23, 2016

Hi

I am trying to setup code coverage for a large project and I would like to have some questions answered

The current setup for our product is as follows

• The applications servers are located in DMZ and sit behind apache webservers, apache routes the requests to appservers(tomcat in this case), if I were to deploy instrumented source code as rpm's to appserver, will enabling "System Property in the Java task that starts the WebServer" as listed in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CLOVER/Using+Distributed+Per-test+Coverage+with+Clover-for-Ant#UsingDistributedPer-testCoveragewithClover-for-Ant-SettingaSystemPropertyintheJavataskthatstartstheWebServer allow me capture to code coverage even if the tests are hitting apache webservers endpoint(assuming the coverage is being generated correctly). The JUNIT/API tests are executed from jenkins which is located in company internal network, the tests will be pointed to apache's endpoint.
  •  If there are lot of engineers who do manual tests, will the code coverage generated by clover include manual tests as well(jacoco agent capture manual test coverage without any instrumentation, want to understand what is the case with clover) or coverage is just from the instrumented tests?

Thanks

1 answer

2 votes
Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2016
  • If there are lot of engineers who do manual tests, will the code coverage generated by clover include manual tests as well(jacoco agent capture manual test coverage without any instrumentation, want to understand what is the case with clover) or coverage is just from the instrumented tests?

Clover can record global coverage generated by manual testing, but application code needs to be instrumented prior it. If you want per-test coverage you need to hack Clover a little bit to indicate manual test scenarios boundaries, please take a look at this tutorial.

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly, but for Clover there's no difference if some parts of the application exists in other networks. Clover bases on instrumented code execution, but if you want to collect per-test coverage in distributed environment like one you've described you have to follow the linked tutorial. 

Best regards,

Grzegorz Lewandowski 

Abhinav Nallagundla May 30, 2016

Hi @Grzegorz Lewandowski,

Let me elaborate a bit on second bullet point, when the tests are executed they hit the apache front door, how will the appservers which have instrumented application code deployed generate coverage? DO i have to open the port on the apache as well? just like how it is on application server so test coverage metrics are generated? My confusion is if tests(clover server jvm) have a port open and appserver(clover client jvm) also have a port open, and if there is apache webserver in between tests jvm and appserver jvm how will the per-test code coverage be generated?

Thanks

Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 31, 2016

Clover in distributed mode setups it's own services. It uses GNU CAJO library for that purpose. Generally speaking, it will open a port to listen to test JVM  (client) connections. If you're using any firewall it shall be whitelisted, but you don't have to do anything on the Apache Server side (beside deploying instrumented version of an application and setting up proper JVM flags - please follow the tutorial for that). Clover will determine if it runs on client (test) or server (application) JVM  and make its own requests accordingly marking beginning and ending of a test

Abhinav Nallagundla May 31, 2016

Thanks @Grzegorz Lewandowski, the bigger problem I have is there is nothing to deploy on Apache Webserver which sits between the LoadBalancer and App Servers, except for config files. The instrumented code is only deployed to app-servers, which is exactly why i am confused on how i should proceed with this kinda of setup. The documentation link doesn't help me in situations i just described, any help is very very appreciated

-Abhinav

Abhinav Nallagundla May 31, 2016

Also @Grzegorz Lewandowski, if there is anything I can do to get in touch with Atlassian support and do a quick phone call(we are willing to pay for support if its needed) Please let me know, we want to have code coverage in place of for our kinda of setup. Thanks you.

Grzegorz Lewandowski
Atlassian Team
June 1, 2016

So as far as I understood Apache Server doesn't have any application code deployed, it's merely a router. If that's the case I don't see any reason to enable Clover on it. Clover works source code level. What it means, it instruments source code, which needs to be compiled afterward. In runtime every time (instrumented) application code is executed, Clover coverage gathering instructions are being executed as well causing code coverage data to be collected. You can read about it here.

Regarding Atlassian Support, you can create issue at http://support.atlassian.com 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events