Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clover Reporting for Multi Project Builds

JoeA July 1, 2014

I have a Gradle based Java/Groovy project that contains several subprojects. Let's say that subproject-a has a source class, subproject-b has a test class that tests the code under subproject-a. I am unable to figure out how to configure Clover to count the test coverage that subproject-b provides to subproject-a. I created an example project which shows a simple example of my issue. Combining each subproject's clover results does work fine, but the only code coverage that gets counted is when the source and test are in the same project.

I realize that the gradle-clover-plugin is an open source project, but is what I'm trying to do possible in Maven or Ant? I'm sure with Ant I could just build all the subprojects as one big single project and that would work, but I'd like to maintain my multi-project setup with project level dependencies.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2014

I ran 'gradle cloverGenerateReport --debug'.

In the report I've found that the Dog class (from subproject-a) called from DogServiceTest (from subproject-b) has no coverage. I assume that this is a problem you're writing about.

In the build log I've found the following:

14:50:47.828 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultWorkerProcessFactory] Creating Gradle Worker 3
14:50:47.828 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.process.internal.DefaultWorkerProcessFactory] Using application classpath [
  <workspace>\subproject-b\build\classes\test, 
  <workspace>\subproject-b\build\resources\test, 
  <workspace>\subproject-b\build\classes\main, 
  <workspace>\subproject-b\build\resources\main, 
  <home>\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\org.codehaus.groovy\groovy-all\2.2.2\7a917c8329fe11445de19c2ca28fd2ca586830da\groovy-all-2.2.2.jar, 
  <workspace>\subproject-a\build\libs\subproject-a.jar, <<<<< USING subproject-a.jar
  <home>\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\junit\junit\4.11\4e031bb61df09069aeb2bffb4019e7a5034a4ee0\junit-4.11.jar,
  <home>\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\org.hamcrest\hamcrest-core\1.3\42a25dc3219429f0e5d060061f71acb49bf010a0\hamcrest-core-1.3.jar,
  <home>\.gradle\caches\modules-2\files-2.1\com.cenqua.clover\clover\3.2.0\e09feecf14644d92003ab037c30e483cf86b3e82\clover-3.2.0.jar]  

14:50:48.528 [DEBUG] [TestEventLogger] Gradle Worker 3 STARTED
14:50:48.533 [QUIET] [system.out] 14:50:48.532 [DEBUG] [org.gradle.api.internal.tasks.testing.junit.JUnitTestClassProcessor] Executing test class com.example.DogServiceTest

14:50:49.033 [DEBUG] [TestEventLogger] com.example.DogServiceTest > makeDogSpeakTest STANDARD_OUT
14:50:49.033 [DEBUG] [TestEventLogger]     Hello, my name is Mark

Please note that the subproject-b is using the ...\subproject-a\build\libs\subproject-a.jar and this JAR contains non-instrumented classes.

This is a reason why the Dog class has no coverage.

The JAR has non-instrumented classes, because the Gradle Clover Plugin has been written this way in order to be transparent and to avoid accidental deployment of instrumented code:

https://github.com/bmuschko/gradle-clover-plugin/blob/master/src/main/groovy/org/gradle/api/plugins/clover/CloverPlugin.groovy#L104

It means that, unfortunately, you cannot have a code coverage across modules, unless you'll hack the plugin and comment out this line:

https://github.com/bmuschko/gradle-clover-plugin/blob/feda5fccec900da685fca510b2e6be4cd9121fa6/src/main/groovy/org/gradle/api/plugins/clover/CloverPlugin.groovy#L100

JoeA July 6, 2014

This is really great, thanks for figuring this out for me. I'll talk with the maintainer of the clover plugin and see if we can do anything to better accommodate how this needs to work with clover. Looks like this should be supportable.

Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2014

Indeed. Adding a switch for this should be trivial.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events