Any pointers on what might be wrong using Clover with Gradle for Groovy

I get the following error:

ERROR: Clover-for-Groovy encountered an error while loading config:

Basically, when I use ant.'clover-setup' I get this error and no instrumentation is performed. I can leave off all params to the ant task (i.e. accepting all defaults) and still get this error.

3 answers

0 vote
Nick Pellow Atlassian Team Aug 21, 2011

Hi Paul,

Is there a stack-trace accompanying that error message?

Do you see any more log messages when you run Gradle in debug mode ?

Cheers,
Nick

No stacktraces near that error. There is a stacktrace later on because the ant.'clover-report' can't find the coverage database - but it isn't there (as it is never created) so it seems to be working as expected.

The previous line is execing java with this class 'org.codehaus.groovy.tools.FileSystemCompiler' and has the clover jar and a temp groverxxxx.jar in the classpath.

Then the error line.

Then:
[ant:clover-setup] Cleaning up Clover directory ...

Which logging library is being used under the covers?

0 vote
Nick Pellow Atlassian Team Aug 21, 2011

By default, Clover should log to stdout. You can specify the log level by setting the clover.logging.level to either

• debug
  • verbose

You can also specify which framework gets used via the clover.logging.adapter System property. Valid values are:

• log4j
  • jdk
  • stderr

e.g. -Dclover.logging.adapter=log4j

will force Clover to use log4j.

0 vote

Such error might happen when Ant jar is missing in class path. In such case the error message with a stack trace looks this:

[groovyc] ERROR: Clover-for-Groovy encountered an error while loading config: Clover-for-Groovy encountered an error while loading config:  : org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException
  [groovyc] java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tools/ant/BuildException
  [groovyc] 	at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredFields0(Native Method)
[groovyc] at com.atlassian.clover.instr.java.InstrumentationConfig.loadFromStream(InstrumentationConfig.java:439) [groovyc] at com.atlassian.clover.instr.groovy.Grover.newConfigFromResource(Grover.java:241) [groovyc] at com.atlassian.clover.instr.groovy.Grover.<init>(Grover.java:210)

If this is your case, then please use includeAntRuntime="true" in your build configuration.

See also clover-for-groovy-encountered-an-error-while-loading-config.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in Confluence

Calling all marketing teams who use Confluence - we want to hear from you!

Hi Community! me again 🙂 If you’re a marketing team using Confluence, we want to hear your story! How did you start using Confluence? What are your use cases? What have been some of the benefits?...

51 views 2 2
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you