Any plans for a Clover Desktop Starter license?

Jim Bethancourt
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2012

Are there any plans for a Clover starter license? It would be awesome to get it in the hands of more software developers.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jens Schumacher [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 6, 2012

Thanks for starting the discussion Jim. The pricing of the personal license has come up as a topic before and we are planning to revisit it in the near future.

Cheers,
Jens

Jim Bethancourt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 7, 2012

Hi Jens,

This is very encouraging news! While I don't want to rush the discussion by any means, it would be really neat to have this announcement at the upcoming AtlasCamp since it's heavily attended by developers, and I'm sure it would be welcomed with thunderous applause. :-)

Thanks,

Jim

Jens Schumacher [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2012

Hi Jim,

As you can imagine, getting pricing right can be a complicated process. We will have to determine whether we can change the price in a way without sacrificing revenue on our server license sales. One thing I know for sure is that we won't be able to get a new pricing out before Atlascamp. But we will be looking into it.

Thanks again for the suggestion.
Jens

0 votes
Jim Bethancourt
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 5, 2012

Hi Marek,

Thanks so much for being willing to open up the discussion -- I really appreciate it. I have just downloaded the Clover desktop product trial version and have experimented with it a bit to see what kind of functionality is available (I'm really impressed, btw!).

Price: It would be good to see a price that is easily affordable when his/her boss says "No, we won't get that for you", but they'd be willing to pull out their own wallet to purchase it because as a developer, they see value in test coverage metrics. An annual cost of somewhere between $10 and $25 would probably be seen as reasonable for a personal purchase as a starter license cost. $300 initially and then $150 annually is a bit of a stretch for someone to spend money out of their own paycheck, however. I'd add the stipulation that this would have to be a personal, 1 user license, not a license that is owned / managed by a corporation.

Number of users: 1 user per license

Features: I would remove the ability to generate/export HTML/XML/PDF reports and run it with Ant/Maven builds since this would be targeted for users who are only working within an IDE. If their boss wants reports, the boss should have to pay for the full Desktop license. It may be worth considering removing the ability to run coverage on Groovy code since only some developers do Groovy coding. If the Coverage Database keeps track of coverage over time, it could also be excluded since developers will likely be most interested in what the coverage of their codebase is at present. Sure, it would be nice to see how things are getting better, but it's hard to say it would deliver a significant value for a single desktop user (if this is indeed what the Coverage Database does).

Not sure if you'd want to offer source code with this license -- I know that the source code is available for the other Atlassian starter licensed products.

Again, thank you so much for being willing to open up the discussion.

0 votes
Marek Parfianowicz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2012

Hi Jim,

Could you tell how do you see this "starter license" might look like (price / number of users / scope of functionality)? Please note that we already have the "Developer License" which costs 1/4 of Server license and has nearly all features (except exporting reports in HTML/XML/PDF).

Regards
Marek

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events