What does session timeout in web.xml file refers to?

Bhartesh May 22, 2017

i see that session timeout in web.xml file has been set to 30 minues for jira.

I want to know what session timeout in jira means, will it throw out the user who is inactve or not using the application for 30 mins from the applicationafter 30 minutes?

If thats the case, if user is in between some work(like ticket creation or in case of confluence he is creating some document) how wil it affect.

Regards,

Bhartesh

1 answer

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 22, 2017

Hi Bhartesh,

the session timeout of 30 minutes is doing the following:

• if a user is logged in, he gets a server side session. That means, e.g. he must not enter his password anymore, if the request is coming from the same machine
  • if this user is not calling jira for a period of 30 minutes, the session is removed on the server side. Then the user has to log in again after the next call.
  • And yes, if the user then has data (e.g. creation of a ticket) that was not sent to the server, this is lost
  • In Confluence, drafts are saved automatically as long as you don't publish your changes. After losing your session, you can still revocer your drafts. You find them under "recently worked on" in the sidebar

Bhartesh May 23, 2017

@thomas,

This helped a lot for me to understand about session timeout.

Thanks a lot for sharing your expertise knowledge. :)

Regards,

Bhartesh.G

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events