workflow requiring code review

C October 23, 2013

I'm looking to make code reviews a required step to accept code into our code base. Been playing with Stash & Crucible to see how they could be setup to help me accomplish this, but am struggling to find a good answer.

To start with, I think the basic features I'm looking for (with the https://www.atlassian.com/git/workflows#!workflow-feature-branch in mind) are:

1. Require review approval to merge code on the "master/develop" branch. Note: various options for submission here (patches, feature branches to merge, forks), I'd prefer to allow submitters to work/push "feature" branches and control merges into restricted branches.
  2. Require a minimum of X approvals (based on the repo/repo area)
  3. Required approvers come from a pre-defined list of users (based on the repo/repo area)
  4. Self-approval toggle switch (e.g. can one self-approve or not?)
  5. Allow additional reviewers to participate

Stash, via the "pull request" system seems to cover only #2 (and #5?), but not the rest, although it's pretty close on #1 as it has ACLs for branches, but not based on pull request status.

Crucible, surprisingly seems to fall short on all fronts. (uh?!) What am I missing here?

Curious about whether I'm looking at this the wrong way, or whether there are plugins/hooks that'd do the job here.

1 answer

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2013

Hi Chris,

How did you go?

1. This isn't currently possible without writing your own plugin. You might be interested in the following:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/STASH-2910

2. Yep.

3. Again you could do this with a plugin. There are quite a few open feature requests around reviewers, but nothing that matches that exact requirement. You might want to do a quick Google if you're interested. See below also.

4. People with write access should be able to approve without being a reviewer. Is that what you had in mind?

5. Again, people with access should be able to add themselves or others to a pull request.

In general we're planning on enhancing the whole pull request experience in feature releases. I can't be more specific around dates or exact features, but we'll certainly be keeping 1 and 3 in mind.

Cheers,

Charles

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events