Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why is hg pull so slow?

Jerry Shea April 22, 2013

When I hg clone my bitbucket repo it takes 40 minutes. When I hg pull my repo it can take 20-30 minutes even if not much has changed. My .hg folder is about 200MB.

Can anyone help me troubleshooting this? I get similar performance whether I am on the corporate connection or my home ADSL2+ connection.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
SplinterReality April 26, 2013

My experience with Mercurial in particular is that adding large binaries to the repo results in a huge memory footprint whenever they are operated on, slowing the works down to a crawl.

If your changesets are very large, or otherwise contain large binaries, I would highly advise switching to GIT instead, which doesn't have such problems.

Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2013

I'd go with GIT also. It works a lot better.

0 votes
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2013

Hi Jerry,

Note that DVCS soultions are designed to handle few amounts of data, so large binaries (we don't recommend binaries on DVCS) and hundreds of MB will naturaly takes some time to sync. I believe that Git (also supported on Bitbucket) is little bit faster, so maybe you can try it to solve this issue.

Cheers,

Lucas

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events