upgrade stash 2.9.4 to 2.12

RAJESHP April 3, 2014

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade our 17 G Data Git repositories (about 400 at last count) with about 250 users (mysql database, running on tomcat and apache for proxy ) from 2.9.4 to 2.12 during to the compelling features in 2.12.

I was wondering if anyone could share there expierience Best Practices (other then the Upgrade Manual) do's and or be careful about some aspect.

We will be taking a snapshot of the machine running CentOS before the upgrade and a complete data backup of the repository before the upgrade.

4 answers

1 vote
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 8, 2014

Hi Rajesh,

A few general pointers.

The size of your repositories and users doesn't necessarily affect the complexity (or time) of an upgrade. It really depends on what we may (or may not) need to do to the data during the upgrade. In general we almost never touch the Git repositories, and most database changes are at the schema level, which should be fairly quick.

You should always test an upgrade on a separate server first, to make sure it continues to function in your environment. I would recommend to everyone to always have an up-to-date clone/backup of your production server that you can upgrade and test in isolation. This way you don't need to rely on a single-user mode of Stash.

You can also test the upgrade of Git on that machine as well. Related to that - I wouldn't recommend upgrading Stash and Git at the same time, purely because if something does go wrong you won't be sure what the real issue is - change one thing at a time if possible. That said upgrading to Git 1.9.1 shouldn't be an issue in any way.

Cheers,

Charles

1 vote
RAJESHP April 4, 2014

Few questions on after thought.

1. can we upgrade the git to latest 1.9.1 at the same time when we migrate stash 2.9.4 to 2.12

2. how can we bring stash to a single user mode to test the application upgrade before rolling out to the dev.

0 votes
RAJESHP April 8, 2014

Happy to report that the upgrade was un eventful.

The downtime was very limited (less then 30 min ).

Thank you.

0 votes
RAJESHP April 8, 2014

Thank you.

so a currently we are at 1.8.4.5 so at a later day we can upgrade to 1.9.X should be fine ?

1. and would it typically be just changing the PATH to include new Git binary instead of the current 1.8.4.5 ?

2. any way to test stash in a limited user mode (say 2 or 5 users only during initial roll out.)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events