Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

timeout error when accesing stash from jenkins

Aditya Rajan Agrawal July 29, 2014
EnvInject] - Loading node environment variables.
Building remotely on jxlprdbld01 (reports snapshot admin compile junit distributions) in workspace /opt/reference/deployments/integration/QAP/availity-web
 > git rev-parse --is-inside-work-tree
Fetching changes from the remote Git repository
 > git config remote.integration.url ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git
Fetching upstream changes from ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git
 > git --version
 > git fetch --tags --progress ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/integration/*
ERROR: Timeout after 10 minutes
FATAL: Failed to fetch from ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git
hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Failed to fetch from ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git
	at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.fetchFrom(GitSCM.java:622)
	at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.retrieveChanges(GitSCM.java:854)
	at hudson.plugins.git.GitSCM.checkout(GitSCM.java:879)
	at hudson.model.AbstractProject.checkout(AbstractProject.java:1252)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.defaultCheckout(AbstractBuild.java:615)
	at jenkins.scm.SCMCheckoutStrategy.checkout(SCMCheckoutStrategy.java:86)
	at hudson.model.AbstractBuild$AbstractBuildExecution.run(AbstractBuild.java:524)
	at hudson.model.Run.execute(Run.java:1710)
	at hudson.model.FreeStyleBuild.run(FreeStyleBuild.java:43)
	at hudson.model.ResourceController.execute(ResourceController.java:88)
	at hudson.model.Executor.run(Executor.java:234)
Caused by: hudson.plugins.git.GitException: Command "git fetch --tags --progress ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/integration/*" returned status code 143:
stdout: 
stderr: 
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandIn(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1325)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.launchCommandWithCredentials(CliGitAPIImpl.java:1186)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl.access$200(CliGitAPIImpl.java:87)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.CliGitAPIImpl$1.execute(CliGitAPIImpl.java:257)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler$1.call(RemoteGitImpl.java:153)
	at org.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.RemoteGitImpl$CommandInvocationHandler$1.call(RemoteGitImpl.java:146)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:118)
	at hudson.remoting.UserRequest.perform(UserRequest.java:48)
	at hudson.remoting.Request$2.run(Request.java:328)
	at hudson.remoting.InterceptingExecutorService$1.call(InterceptingExecutorService.java:72)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:138)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)

4 answers

0 votes
Phoung-Dinh Tieu January 22, 2016

Sadly, I have run across this error, as well.  No resolution?

I did time the command, and it only took 3.5 minutes.  Also, I increased the timeout some time ago, so I am now consistently seeing this with a 60 minute timeout.  Any other ideas what may be causing this?

One note, the jenkins job does build several configurations at once (matrix job).  Could this be affecting the ability to fetch, and why I don't see it when I clone directly on the machine?

Phoung-Dinh Tieu March 4, 2016

Aha!  I finally realized that the jenkins service wasn't running as who I thought it was.  E.g. I missed a step to change the login of the jenkins service to the expected user whose ssh keys had been added to Stash.

So, the lesson I learned is, if Jenkins times out trying to connect to Stash:

1. Verify that Jenkins is running as the user you expect by checking Jenkin's node system information (user.name).
  2. Verify that ssh is properly setup for that user, on the node, by logging in and performing the clone.  You might need to add the ssh key to Stash, or fix the ssh setup.
  3. Time the above clone operation to ensure the timeout is set appropriately.

0 votes
Sabareesh March 16, 2015

Is there any solution that helped you to by-pass this error? If so please help me.

0 votes
Gontran SEGUE October 14, 2014

Hi Aditya,

copy your ssh keys inside $HOME/.ssh

Hope it has helped.

Gontran. S

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 1, 2014

Hi,

The timeout appears to be coming from the Git command below:

git fetch --tags --progress ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/integration/*

Could you try running that command manually on the server to see how long it's taking? You can find the exact time with:

time git fetch --tags --progress ssh://git@git.xxxxx.com:7xxx/ss/xxxxxx-web.git +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/integration/*

By default, the Git client plugin for Jenkins has a 10 minute timeout set for Git operations. When Git Plugin 2.3 is released, this can be configured in the settings. Until then, it can be increased by changing the system property:

java -Dorg.jenkinsci.plugins.gitclient.Git.timeOut=120 -jar jenkins.war

Gattupalli Rahul Chakradhar June 15, 2017

Hi Jeff, Can you please let me know where do we change the system property and run the script that you have given?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events