cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stash cascade merge propagates release branch pom.xml updates to 'develop'

Ulrich Kuhnhardt [Comalatech]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2015

When stash automatic merge is turned on version changes to pom.xml in release/X.Y_REL are merged to 'develop'.

1. How can I avoid version changes to be propagated to develop?
  2. It can cause a merge conflict if other feature branches off 'develop' have been merged back to develop in the same time span.

We really like the automatic merge feature - how's everyone dealing with this scenario? What's best practice here?

Thanks a lot. 

4 answers

5 votes
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 19, 2015

Ulrich,

When we create our release branches and update the version in pom.xml, we manually merge that up and discard the changes (we use git merge -s ours for that). Once that merge has been done once, all subsequent changes should automatic merge without reapplying the version change. We use a script to cut our releases in part to automate the process of doing that merge and discarding the changes. When cutting point releases (say, 3.7.1), we do that on a separate "release-3.7.1" branch (not "release/3.7.1", so the branch is not picked up as a "Release" branch by the branch model) so that we can do the same merge-discarding-changes back to the "release/3.7" branch (and then onto "release/3.8" and "master"). All of those merges are done manually, not using Stash.

Hope this helps,
Bryan Turner
Atlassian Stash

0 votes
Andrew Evans November 25, 2019

For our use case with small teams we find it easiest to briefly allow an exemption on PRs and switching off auto-merge when we create the branch and then commit the POM updates directly. This means we continue getting the auto-merge capabilities on the new patch branch.

0 votes
Stefan Saasen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2015

Bryan explained how we deal with this below. For a little bit of background, I've wrote about it a while ago, see "Merge strategies" on http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/11/the-essence-of-branch-based-workflows/

0 votes
Gordon Waddell March 19, 2015

Not an answer but I think this duplicates my question here: 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events