Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbt:publish - Do I really need to include credentials in my repo?

Peter Nerg September 13, 2017

I've looked at the example on how to integrate sbt:publish as part of the pipelines you offer 

JfrogDev/sbt-example

One thing that disurbs me is the need to have the credentials inlined in the repo.

This means that anyone with access to the repo can perform the publish operation from their laptop. For obvious reasons it's rather undesirable to allow anyone to push code to the binary repo. 

With sbt one normally uses the ~/.ivy2/.credentials file to contain the credentials needed to push binaries to e.g. Artifactory.
Using e.g. Jenkins one configures the user running Jenkins with the correct access rights thus only the Jenkins user/process is allowed to push binaries.

Is there no way as admin of a project/repo I can set the credentials outside the repo to be used by the build pipeline?

1 answer

0 votes
Salim Doost November 19, 2018

Hey Peter. I've the same considerations. Did you find a solution yet?

Salim Doost November 19, 2018

In case anyone else looks for a solution, here is what worked for me:

ThisBuild / credentials += {
(sys.env.get("ARTIFACTORY_USER"), sys.env.get("ARTIFACTORY_PASSWORD")) match {
case (Some(user), Some(password)) => Credentials("Artifactory Realm", "your.host.here", user, password)
case _ => Credentials(new File(ivyPaths.value.ivyHome.getOrElse(new File("~/.ivy2")).getPath + "/.credentials"))
}
}

This solution allows both a credentials file in your home directory or authentication via environment variables.

Peter Nerg November 19, 2018

I have been looking at the same solution though in the end we went with a different build system not relying on bitbucket pipelines

Don't like configuring user/password in plain text for either each repo or on a global account just to satisfy the pipeline.

I want credentials to be hidden for even the project members, it's on a need-to-know basis and not every project member needs to have push rights to Artifactory hence they should not have access to the credentials.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events