npm install not working with Bitbucket runner

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2021

I get the below error when using runner for the below pipeline. Is it because I am not using a custom docker image to run node?

pipelines:
  branches:
    develop:
      - step:
          runs-on: self.hosted
          name: Build the package
          script:
            - cd frontend
            - npm install
            - npm run build
            -
          artifacts:
            - build/**

Screenshot 2021-11-30 211610.png

1 answer

1 vote
Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2021

Hi Ajay,

Thank you for contacting Atlassian Community! I'm Norbert from Bitbucket Cloud Support, it's nice to meet you! 

Based on my observation your build fails as the NPM is not able to authenticate with the remote repository. 

Based on the following link, removing the ".npmrc" resolves this issue: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48823562/npm-install-resulting-in-401-unauthorized-for-private-repo

Can I ask you to try to remove this file and let us know if it resolves the issue?

I'm looking forward to hear from you, Ajay.

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Ajay _view26_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2021

Hi @Norbert C 

Thanks for the reply.

As it tuned out I was using private modules in my package.json and therefore the 401. I followed the documentation mentioned here to configure the  .npmrc file and it works fine.

If you are using private modules from either the public npm registry or your own private registry you can simply check in a .npmrc file at the root of your repository using repository variables. To avoid conflict with the local ~/.npmrc file during development you can simply name it .npmrc_config and rename it as part of the pipeline script.

.npmrc_config

//registry.npmjs.org/:_authToken=${NPM_TOKEN}
registry=https://registry.npmjs.org

& in the Pipeline 

pipelines:
default:
- step:
script:
- mv .npmrc_config .npmrc
- npm install

Cheers

Ajay

Norbert C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2021

Hi Ajay,

Thank you for your reply. We appreciate your detailed explanation and we're glad to hear that it works :).

Have a great week ahead!

Best Regards,
Norbert
Atlassian Bitbucket Cloud Support

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events