Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celebration

Earn badges and make progress

You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.

Deleted user Avatar
Deleted user

Level 1: Seed

25 / 150 points

Next: Root

1 badge earned

Collect

Participate in fun challenges

Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!

Challenges
Coins

Gift kudos to your peers

What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.

Recognition
Ribbon

Rise up in the ranks

Keep earning points to reach the top of the leaderboard. It resets every quarter so you always have a chance!

Leaderboard

Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

mixed case vs lower case workspace IDs

Changing my organisation's bitbucket.org workspace ID from initial caps (mixed case, e.g. say Organisation) to all lowercase (organisation) returns "This workspace ID is not available"

Atlassian Support suggested a Community post, but it seems to be technical limitation or some validation preventing changing the case of a workspace ID?

Would appreciate any comments.  We are starting off on this workspace for our organisation and no projects or repositories as yet.  The Bitbucket Cloud UI seems to be case independent, but not sure if it will continue to be and or if Git client access for cloned repos is case sensitive or not for URLs as I'm yet to create repos, clone and or push from local.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Hi @Edwin Jacobs,

You can try doing the following: if the workspace id is e.g. Workspace, then

- change the id from Workspace to e.g. workspace-test
- right afterwards, change from workspace-test to workspace

Please note the following though: I checked in our system the workspaces you have access to, and the workspace that has a capital letter in its id is another user's personal workspace.

This workspace was created automatically by Bitbucket Cloud when this user signed up for a Bitbucket account.

- If this user leaves the company in the future, you will not be able to revoke their access to this workspace (because it is their personal workspace)

- Other admins of this workspace will not be able to access the APPS AND FEATURES section in this workspace's Settings

I would therefore suggest that you manually create a separate workspace for your organization, as a workspace that is created manually by a user is not subject to the above limitations.

You can ask this user to change their Bitbucket username and their Workspace id to something different, so you can use the existing workspace id when creating a new workspace.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Many thanks @Theodora Boudale!

Kudos, really appreciate reply, efforts to check your end and advice.

The steps to change case of workspace I'm sure come in very handy with thanks to you.

We'll create a temporary shared workspace, transfer repositories and rename once user name and personal workspace is changed.

Great response and support from you, colleague Aravind Anil and the Atlassian Team.

Sincerely

Edwin

Hi Edwin,

You are very welcome, I'm glad we could help.

Please feel free to reach out if you ever need anything else!

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like Edwin Jacobs likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Atlassian Community Events