migrate bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud

Martin Faust May 23, 2016

Can somebody comment on how to migrate a hosted Bitbucket Server project to a Bitbucket cloud instance? I'd like to retain PRs, comments and the like.

4 answers

1 vote
Maren
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi there,

As you've found, we currently only support migrating repository data (your source code) from Bitbucket Server to Bitbucket Cloud. There's no supported method for migrating user accounts, permission structures, or repository metadata like pull request history and comments. We're currently gathering interesting in this feature, so if this is something you need we recommend watching or voting for this issue.

For more information about migrating from Bitbucket Server to cloud, I recommend reviewing Plan your Bitbucket Server to cloud migration

As outlined in the guide, there are a few ways to move your data to the cloud:

1. Use our repository importer to import individual repositories. To migrate using the importer, your Bitbucket Server domain needs to be publicly accessible. If it's not publicly accessible Bitbucket Cloud will not be able to access to your Bitbucket Server to perform the import.
  2. You can also create a new repository on Bitbucket Cloud, and then simply push from your local repository to the new repository in Bitbucket Cloud.
  3. If you have a lot of repositories, Bitbucket Cloud provides APIs for you to script the creation and pushing of repositories in bulk.

For more info to help you decide if moving from server to cloud is a good option for you, check out our Atlassian Cloud Migration Center

I hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to reach out with questions!

1 vote
evzijst
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2016

I'm not aware of any supported tools to perform such migration. Getting the source code across of course is easily done, but migrating pull requests, projects, permissions and other meta data could be a significant undertaking.

0 votes
evzijst
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2016

I'm afraid so sad

Mitch Gann March 12, 2018

Is this still the case in March 2018?

michael_giroux April 4, 2018

Also investigating migration from Server to Cloud.   Is there any documentation that would guide a company through the process?  Has there been any improvement in available tools to assist the effort?

Alex Söhn April 10, 2018

We also want to move from Bitbucket server to Bitbucket Cloud. Were there no updates in the last two years?

IvanL August 14, 2018

is it still not possible to migrate bitbucket server to bitbucket cloud till Aug 2018?

0 votes
cellcrypt_ops June 28, 2016

So basically migrating from Bitbucket server to Bitbucket cloud is impossible?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events