Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it possible to restore stash data into new stash version?

soumia ben September 10, 2014

I would like to restore stash data in fresh new installation with newer version? 

Thanks

3 answers

1 vote
dericleeyy September 10, 2014

Hi Soumia,

Yes, in that case it's possible.

All you need to do is point Stash home to your existing Stash home from Stash 2.4.1 and upon the first initialization, Stash will recognise it as upgrade and begin upgrading process.

Regards,
Deric 

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2014

Hi Soumia,

As Deric said, the answer would be yes. Please read on for more details, though. My answer below is also tied to the answer I posted to you on this question:

• First off, just to make it clear for other people: you can't use the backup client to backup/restore instances prior to release 2.7.0 as stated on the linked answer. Even if you did, what you described is not applicable (this is explained further)
  • The procedure to backup/restore an instance older than 2.7.0 is described on the answer I linked above.
  • To explain in more details the answer "yes" we need to understand how an upgrade is done in Stash. More details:
    • Upgrade process: before upgrading, always make sure you backup as described in the linked answer. Basically upgrading Stash means downloading a newer binary and pointing its STASH_HOME within setenv (under <Stash_Install_Dir>/bin/setenv<.bat or .sh>) to your current STASH_HOME. As explained by Deric, once the Stash new binaries detect that this STASH_HOME is of an older release, it will silently perform the upgrade for you (on the database and on the file system, wherever and whatever it is required). 
    • Restoring and performing an upgrade on the restored data: we recommend you restore the data using the procedure we described on your previous question. Once you have the data restored, as per my answer, you will have to download Stash. On that answer, I was considering that you will download the Stash binary on the same release as you were using before the backup. If you download Stash binaries on a newer release than it is contained in your backed up STASH_HOME/database and point it to the restored $STASH_HOME, an upgrade will be automatically performed. That should be ok, because if you have problems during this upgrade you can always restore the backup you had again and run with the binaries on the same release as you had before.
  • It is never possible to downgrade Stash. If you point an older binary to a newer STASH_HOME, your instance will not start up.

I hope this is clear enough for you.

Best regards,
Thiago Bomfim
Atlassian Support - DevTools

0 votes
soumia ben September 10, 2014

Hi Deric,

Actually, I would like to know if it is possible to restore stash data from backup (stash version 2.4.1), into a new stash installation (version 3.x)

It is an upgrade not a downgrade.

Thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events