Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

importing bitbucket issues to existing project in jira cloud

Deleted user December 10, 2017

I have read several posts about this but haven't got a definite answer.

I need to migrate all issues in bitbucket (on multiple repos) to jira, to a single project that already exists.

1- is there a wizard-like import that will help mapping the fields and types?

2- if not, and the only (regretfully) way to do this is with json importer, how do i import to an existing project with existing issue types, workflows etc.?

2.1- Why isn't there a simpler way?!

3. how do i disable issues in bitbucket afterwards (to prevent new issues from being created)

thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Ana Retamal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 12, 2017

Hi Joel! If you're using Jira Cloud then the only option available is to use the Json importer, as explained at  Importing data from Bitbucket. Note that you won't be able to import the issues into an existing project, you'll need to create a new one. 

To disable issues in Bitbucket, navigate to the repository, go to Settings > Issue tracker and check the box 'No issue tracker'.

For Bitbucket Server users, we have the JIRA Bitbucket Importer plugin available. The instructions can be found at Importing data from Bitbucket Server.

Hope that helps!

Ana

Deleted user December 12, 2017

I understand. I assume the path would be to import to a new project, then move the tickets to the existing project and then delete the new project. correct?

also, will i loose the attachments?

This is a big drawback in the move from Bitbucket issues to Jira. I fail to understand why there is not a simple wizard-like tool for it.

0 votes
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2020

UPDATE: 

JRACLOUD-67311 - Ability to Import Bitbucket Issues into JIRA in JSON has been fixed. Please test it and let us know if it works fine for you too or if you are still having issues.

0 votes
Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
July 13, 2018

Hi Joel,

Here is also a feature request to streamline the import of Bitbucket issues into Jira Cloud (hosted by Atlassian):

JRACLOUD-67311 - Ability to Import Bitbucket Issues into JIRA in JSON

This also contains some "workarounds" that can be used if the JSON import does not work on the first try.

Cheers,

Caterina - Atlassian

Deleted user July 16, 2018

yes, back then i saw all the workarounds.

i'll document here what i did. eventually i used the native JSON importer but i had to first manually edit the JSON to fix all the things that were braking the import. i had 2 separate export/imports to do.

the first one, imported but there was a heck of a lot of data that got lost and i went and updated manually all the issues in Jira (some fields were lost forever, like create date).

on the second import i learned that much of the lost data was due to mismatch between field name (case sensitive) so i fixed the JSON a lot more and managed to preserve most of the data.

after importing all the issues to a "test" project i moved them to the related project.

it was not an easy task :(

Caterina Curti
Atlassian Team
July 16, 2018

Thanks @[deleted],

I added the link here while I was replying to this similar thread in community:

- Bitbucket issue export unsuitable for Jira import?

Thank you for the additional details.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events