Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get the content of a commit?

Robert Li June 21, 2016

I'm trying to enforce a script onto the contents of a commit, but I've yet to figure out how to get the actual commit contents. I see examples on how to obtain the name, JIRA tickets, and other stuff but how do I get the commit that is seen in git on bitbucket?

Thanks

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2016

You have a couple options. If you really want the output of git log -p, you can run it directly:

MyThing(GitCommandBuilderFactory builderFactory) {
    this.builderFactory = builderFactory;
}
public String getItAll(Repository repo, String commitId) {
    return builderFactory.builder(repo).command("log").argument("-p").argument("-n").argument("1").argument(commitId).call(new StringOutputHandler());
}

Or you can run a few commands to get different parts into their respective business objects:

MyThing(CommitService commitService) {
    this.commitService = commitService;
}
public Map<String, Object> getItInParts(Repository repo, String commitId) {
    Commit c = commitService.getCommit(new CommitRequest.Builder(repo, commitId).build());
    PagedIterable<Change> changes = new PagedIterable(new PageProvider<Change>() {
        public Page<Change> get(PageRequest pageRequest) {
            return commitService.getChanges(new ChangesRequest.Builder(repo, commitId).build(), pageRequest);
        }
    }, 25);
    commitService.streamDiff(new DiffRequest.Builder(repo, commitId).build(), new DiffContentCallback() {
        // ... implement methods that are called as the diff is streamed.
        // Note that the content will be capped after 10k lines across the change. You can get diffs of individual paths if you need to.
    });    
}

Note that the changes and the diff might be redundant if you don't actually need all the information about the commit.

I haven't tested either of those snippets, so they probably don't actually work, but that's the gist of how to get the information - a good starting point at least.

Robert Li June 23, 2016

Thanks

John Lawlor
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2019

PagedIterable seems to be gone in Bitbucket 6.x, is there any alternative?

0 votes
Robert Li June 22, 2016

I want the output of git log -p or git show basically

0 votes
Adam
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2016

That's still not really clarifying it for me. What does "seen in git" mean? Do you want the output of a particular git command?

0 votes
Robert Li June 22, 2016

the original content of the commit, as in everything that was seen in git for the commit

0 votes
Adam
Atlassian Team
June 21, 2016

By "content" do you mean the commit message, or the list of files changed, or the diffs of those files, or something else?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events