Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

grant external JIRA access to only one Bitbucket repository

Felix Hünger September 23, 2020

Hi, 

our customer Polo Motorrad (https://polo-motorrad.atlassian.net/) wants to synch their JIRA with our Bitbucket repo (https://bitbucket.org/beexcellent/polo/) so that they are able to see the commits on the JIRA issue on their side.

Is there an option to only grant them access to one repository?

I only found the option to link the JIRA with our Bitbucket cloud account, but then they would have access to all other repositories and admin rights which we don't want.

Is it enough if I create on our Bitbucket account an additional group only for this repo and grant them access only to this group?

Many thanks,

Felix

1 answer

1 vote
Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2020

Hi Felix,

When you create such an integration, all repos owned by this workspace will be listed in the DVCS accounts page of the JIRA Cloud instance. I'm afraid that it is not possible to link a specific repo only.

However, JIRA admins that can see this list, will still not be able to see the content of any repo that they have not been given access to in Bitbucket Cloud. They will see all workspace repos listed, but if they try to open a repo they don't have access to, they will see a message "We can't let you see this page".

You can create a special User Group in the Bitbucket workspace and grant access to this repo only, but this won't affect the integration.

I imagine that you may not want them to see the names of the rest of the repos show up either. In this case, it is possible to remove them from the DVCS accounts page in JIRA. However, I am unsure if they show up again later, I will check with our development team and let you know when I have an update.

Another thing to consider is that the integration between a JIRA Cloud instance and a Bitbucket workspace must be done from a user that has admin rights in both JIRA and the Bitbucket workspace. Do you have admin access to the customer's JIRA instance? Or is there any user that has admin access both to this JIRA Cloud instance but also to the workspace you mentioned?

Kind regards,
Theodora

Felix Hünger September 23, 2020

Hi @Theodora Boudale

Many thanks for the quick update. I am also a bit afraid that your system is not able to do such a simple administration task.

Nevertheless, I have admin rights in both systems, and yes, it is not an option that a customer is able to see other repositories even if it is only the name and I am very interested in the answer from your dev team.

Thanks a lot,

Felix

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 28, 2020

Hi Felix,

I checked with our development team and here is what I found out: if you connect a JIRA Cloud instance with a Bitbucket workspace, then all repos will be listed in the DVCS accounts page in JIRA. If you remove certain repos from this page afterwards, they will not show up again later unless the whole integration is removed and then re-added. This is how it works at the moment, but there is a possibility it may change in the future.

At the moment, this could be used as a workaround. However, it's important to take into account that another JIRA admin may view the list of repos (their names) before you remove them, if the integration is removed and re-added then all the repos will show up again, and also that the ability to remove repos from this page may get removed in the future.

The integration is focused on linking JIRA with a Bitbucket workspace rather than single repos. However, I can most certainly open a feature request for this, for our product managers and development team to take into account. Please feel free to let me know if you'd like me to proceed with this.

Kind regards,
Theodora

JeromeGWS December 23, 2021

Is there any update to this? It seems ridiculous to me to have to link all my repositories when we are using a team-managed project that maps to a singular repo.

Suppose I used a singular Bitbucket account for all companies I worked for, and for personal repositories. This would mean my current company would be able to see all the names of all repositories I have created for previous companies, which could void NDAs.

Thankfully I use separate accounts for each company, but I don't think this is an unlikely scenario.

Marta Cuva January 26, 2024

Hi @Theodora Boudale are there any updates?

Thanks a lot

Theodora Boudale
Atlassian Team
January 31, 2024

Hi Marta,

I'm afraid that I don't have any updates on this. This feature request is tracked in the following ticket:

When there is an update, it is going to be posted there.

In the meantime, a way to work around this issue would be by creating a separate workspace for that one repo, transferring the repo there, and then integrating the new workspace with the Jira instance.

Kind regards,
Theodora

Like # people like this
Marta Cuva January 31, 2024

Hi @Theodora Boudale

thank you for the update!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events