Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting the https url of a bitbucket repo from a ssh url

Narahari Lakshminarayana October 13, 2016

Hello friends:

Thank You for your time and attention in advance.

I am in a situation where I have clone a Bitbucket repo with a ssh url.  It works well.

But for sharing info with other teams and other members of our team I would like to send a https url.

For example I have

ssh://git@bitbucket.es.ad.adp.com:7999/upenv/configuration-values.git

How to get the https equivalent of that aka

https://abcd@bitbucket.es.ad.adp.com/scm/upenv/configuration-values.git

Kindly help.

-Narahari

6 answers

12 votes
Kim Joy Fox March 22, 2019

WHY?!?!?!? Every time I go to do this I'm hunting for like 30 minutes for it. Where is this clone button??? And why can't they list this information like normal people. 

level54solutions June 27, 2019

I agree with you. It is absolutely the worse user interface that I have ever come across. I have just spent ten minutes trying to figure out what the git address is. That should be on the landing page!!

Like # people like this
f22ps3 July 6, 2019

Seriously pissed with the design.  Finding myself running in circles trying to find this crucial information every single time!

Like # people like this
fieldtracker July 30, 2019

Same here. The person responsible for this mess has absolutely no idea of what he should be doing.

Fire him instantly. Please.

Like brentatseagreen likes this
paulmcintosh August 30, 2019

The Bitbucket user interface is not fit for purpose. Valuable time and effort is wasted by hunting around for information that should be easily accessible.  Surely on the page that lists all the repositories a link should be displayed next to each repository. 

Frustrating

Like # people like this
Seymour_FulcrumTec January 8, 2020

That was painful for such a simple task

Like Denver Naidoo likes this
7 votes
David Revilla November 20, 2019

To summarize:

*  press on the 'Plus' button on the sidebar

*  Press on clone this repository

* Press the button on the top right corner to select SSH or HTTPS, the default value seems random

This truly needs a redesign ASAP

atwellpub February 5, 2020

ty - helped 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Tom Meacham June 27, 2019

Found my way here via google search as well. Maybe reconsider this design choice. 

Scott Ashton July 28, 2019

Ditto!!!

0 votes
Walter Hernandez January 20, 2021

The UX needs better design. Had to go all the way to get something that would normally be easily accessible in the main page of a repository

0 votes
federico-alvarez January 6, 2021

Has anyone from Atlassian ever read this post??? It is absolutely unusable, I have to click "clone" to get the URL...

0 votes
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 13, 2016

Hi Narahari,

The best way is for the user to obtain the URL using the UI.

You could also get the Clone URL by using a REST endpoint - no need to use a browser, if that's your situation. I explained that on https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/39424368. Note that the output contains both HTTP and SSH clone URLs.

If the users already have the SSH URL, deriving the HTTP url is easy; as you can see the only difference is the SCM and also the port; you seem to be running Bitbucket behind a proxy which is the reason why you don't specify the port number.

I hope that helps.

Thiago

David Burgess June 4, 2018

"The best way is for the user to obtain the URL using the UI."

Yes, but how do you do that ?

Like # people like this
ThiagoBomfim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 4, 2018

There is a "clone" button on the sidebar

Like farcorn71 likes this
nbourdon July 19, 2018

Thiago,

can the URL be added to the Repository Details page under settings? This is very basic information for a repository that should definitely be easier to find than your suggested methods.

Thanks,

Nick

Like # people like this
hernan November 29, 2018

I agree with the request above. It's painful to find the repository url (which is NOT only used for clone!)

Like # people like this
DerekM December 6, 2018

It's in the clone button popup. and under the repo name in the settings page

hernan December 6, 2018

DerekM 
 I don't see the url "under the repo name in the settings page" ... do you?

Yes, it's in the "clone" popup, but it's bad design that it appears only there. I'm not intending to clone.

Clipboard-1.jpg

Like # people like this
Guillaume Laurent January 29, 2019

I've just lost several minutes looking around for that exact same information (a repository's URL), and came here through a google search.

I completely agree, hiding it behind the "Clone" button is just bad design. That button implies there's an action behind it, which you do not want to perform, you just want the damn URL. Put it in the repo details, that's the logical place for it to be.

Like # people like this
Liam Reynolds June 6, 2019

I agree. that would be grand. +1. 

it's been painful looking for it. 

and no. I can't see "clone" either. 

Liam

Like David Revilla likes this
Nourredine Bouchelouh June 12, 2019

In previous version of Bitbucket the URL was displayed on the repository page when "Overview" is selected under "Navigation".

Now you have to click Clone to copy the Url.

Richard H Tribe June 14, 2019

Who is the idiot UX designer that hides the SSH url in the Clone button.  Like several others, I found my way here via Google search.  

Sharpen up Atlassian. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events