error upon initial Bitbucket Server launch after installation

Georgi Krumov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 5, 2022

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I downloaded the tag.gz archive on my Mac OS, created a new "bitbucket-home" folder on my desktop and set the path of the home folder to the "BITBUCKET_HOME=" variable inside the "set-bitbucket-home.sh" file.Started Bitbucket by executing "sudo sh start-bitbucket.sh" inside the terminal, went to "localhost:7990" using Safari and saw bitbucket loading up.After less than 20 seconds it crashed, giving me some sort of Spring error as seen below:Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 14.52.58.pngI checked the terminal and it said this:

(full log from start to end)

Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 14.54.30.png

1 answer

0 votes
Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2022

Hello @Georgi Krumov 

When you set up Bitbucket on your system it is recommended to create a dedicated `bitbucket` user and run bitbucket as such a user.

There's a KB article https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserverkb/when-using-the-root-user-elasticsearch-cannot-be-started-due-to-don-t-run-elasticsearch-as-root-847751401.html that explains the problem in more detail.

I personally run all Bitbucket server instances on docker on my local machine (MacOS) - https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/bitbucket-server. It's super easy and no headaches guaranteed.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers Ulrich

Izymes // Eliminating boring from work

Georgi Krumov
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2022

Hello @Ulrich Kuhnhardt _IzymesCo_ 

I'll try the first method for now, since I haven't really used docker before.Not sure how to do this right away either, but I'll dig into it.

Thank you for your time :) 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events