Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

diff in SVN Importer and Subgit

Sanjiv Kumar March 11, 2013

I have to migrate from Subversion to GIT. Before that I need to understand the props and cons of SVN Importer and subgit.

Can you please tell me the difference also.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Semyon Vadishev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2013

Hello Sanjiv,

SVN Importer plugin is one-shot converter from Subversion to Git; it allows one to convert SVN repository to Git right from Stash Web UI. The plugin just imports all SVN revisions and doesn't perform any synchronization afterwards.

So, if your goal is to import SVN repository to Git and shutdown SVN server after that (i.e. everyone in your team is going to use Git) then SVN Importer is the way to go for you.

However, if you're planning smooth migration, when both Subversion and Git repositories remain writable for some period, SubGit is a better choice.

SubGit is a tool that enables bi-directional synchronization between Subversion and Git repositories keeping both SVN and Git sides writable. At the moment we're working on Stash integration, soon it will be possible to use full-featured SubGit from Stash Web UI as well.

As to the quality of SVN to Git conversion, SVN Importer and SubGit share the same code, so the result of conversion is the same:

• SVN branches are properly converted to Git refs;
  • SVN tags are properly converted to Git tags;
  • SVN branch copies keep natural history in converted Git repository;
  • svn:ignore properties are converted to .gitignore files;
  • svn:eol-style & svn:mime-type properties are converted to .gitattribute files;
  • svn:mergeinfo properties are converted to proper merge commits when it's reasonable;

Many our users have reported significant speed boost comparing to other SVN to Git converters like git-svn and svn2git.

For more details feel free to contact us at support@subgit.com

Regards,

Semyon

0 votes
Sanjiv Kumar March 17, 2013

Thanks a lot Semyon :-)

It answers my question and now I have clear understanding of which tool I have to use as per my requirement.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events