diff in SVN Importer and Subgit

I have to migrate from Subversion to GIT. Before that I need to understand the props and cons of SVN Importer and subgit.

Can you please tell me the difference also.

2 answers

1 accepted

Hello Sanjiv,

SVN Importer plugin is one-shot converter from Subversion to Git; it allows one to convert SVN repository to Git right from Stash Web UI. The plugin just imports all SVN revisions and doesn't perform any synchronization afterwards.

So, if your goal is to import SVN repository to Git and shutdown SVN server after that (i.e. everyone in your team is going to use Git) then SVN Importer is the way to go for you.

However, if you're planning smooth migration, when both Subversion and Git repositories remain writable for some period, SubGit is a better choice.

SubGit is a tool that enables bi-directional synchronization between Subversion and Git repositories keeping both SVN and Git sides writable. At the moment we're working on Stash integration, soon it will be possible to use full-featured SubGit from Stash Web UI as well.

As to the quality of SVN to Git conversion, SVN Importer and SubGit share the same code, so the result of conversion is the same:

• SVN branches are properly converted to Git refs;
  • SVN tags are properly converted to Git tags;
  • SVN branch copies keep natural history in converted Git repository;
  • svn:ignore properties are converted to .gitignore files;
  • svn:eol-style & svn:mime-type properties are converted to .gitattribute files;
  • svn:mergeinfo properties are converted to proper merge commits when it's reasonable;

Many our users have reported significant speed boost comparing to other SVN to Git converters like git-svn and svn2git.

For more details feel free to contact us at support@subgit.com

Regards,

Semyon

Thanks a lot Semyon :-)

It answers my question and now I have clear understanding of which tool I have to use as per my requirement.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Piotr Plewa
Published Dec 27, 2017 in Bitbucket

Recipe: Deploying AWS Lambda functions with Bitbucket Pipelines

Bitbucket Pipelines helps me manage and automate a number of serverless deployments to AWS Lambda and this is how I do it. I'm building Node.js Lambda functions using node-lambda&nbsp...

706 views 0 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot