Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

custom merge checks for Bitbucket Cloud?

Is there any possibility for custom merge checks in Bitbucket Cloud? Currently, merge checks seem very half-baked; we only have a limited number of options, all of them features (approvals, tasks, builds) predefined by Atlassian.

For example, I would like to ensure that all of the commits in a feature branch exist in other branches (e.g. development and QA) before a PR from the feature branch can be merged into a release branch.

I suppose I might be able to achieve this with a pipeline, but then Bitbucket treats the pipeline run as a "build", which feels very wrong from a cognitive standpoint. "Builds" are things attached to individual commits, which do something with the code, because they are triggered by changes to code.

In this case, however, all I want to do is some Git checks at the time a PR is opened/updated from one branch to another (matching a pattern for the branch name). This feels more like a merge check, because the script is triggered by a non-commit Git action.

This is just one case; I can also imagine wanting, say, to make an HTTP request to another service and wait for the response as part of a merge check.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1 answer

0 votes

ATM there are no custom merge checks. 

It's a very powerful feature which many developers and app vendors have requested/voted for. Please add your comments and vote here https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BCLOUD-19885

Appreciate your support.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Bitbucket

Git push size limits are coming to Bitbucket Cloud starting April 4th, 2022

Beginning on April 4th, we will be implementing push limits. This means that your push cannot be completed if it is over 3.5 GB. If you do attempt to complete a push that is over 3.5 GB, it will fail...

2,263 views 2 9
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you