bitbucket repository download

Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

I saw another post very similar to this but there was no answer.  I downloaded the Atlasboard repository in bitbucket using the "download repository" link.  This provides a zip file with a name like atlassian-atlasboard-328dcb50263e.zip.  So now I want to install it locally but to do that I need to have some idea whether this is a "true" repository (if so how do i connect with it?) or just a zip of the source.  I tried opening the repository in a git client but it says "not a git repository" and of course the npm installer doesn't like my local path for some reason. 

So what is the type of contents in the zip file when a user selects download repository?  Is it a git repository? if it is, how do you convert it from a zip file to an active local repository?  (beyond extracting it from the zip file).

1 answer

1 vote
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2015

It is just a bundle of files, not a repository. If you want the repository with the history, then you will need to check it out clone it, not download the repository.

Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015

Technically, "clone" it, not "check it out".

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2015

You are absolutely correct, thanks.

ShubhamBadal October 14, 2016

In that case that feature/button must be renamed. Why say download repository if it is not a full repo with history. Label it as download project files or something.

Also, provide a direct .zip repo download (with .git history) like we have in github. Cloning is time consuming, one-click download of a branch like in Github will be helpful.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events