bitbucket - get main branch name

Dhara April 9, 2016

I have created repository in bitbucket named Test. To get branches, i am using this URL.

https://bitbucket.org/api/1.0/repositories/username/Test/branches

It gives me list of branches created in Test Repository. Now i want to know among all the branches, which is the main branch? 

1 answer

1 vote
abhin-atl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

Hi Dhara,

Unfortunately, Bitbucket's APIs currently don't provide a way to discover the main branch.

The problem is that we haven't yet decided on how to expose that information via the existing APIs in a performant way. The problem with adding substantial load to the serialization of resources in Bitbucket is that existing integrations who may iterate through the repos on Bitbucket using a large page length (the maximum allowed, even) might start getting timeouts and we could break their integrations (all Bitbucket requests have a soft timeout of 28 seconds and hard timeout of 30 seconds).

We have some proposals which will allow clients to selectively expose previously hidden fields, but that's is all in progress. We hope to add many more fields in our API once that is done.

Sorry for the inconvenience and please stay tuned for updates on this.

Kind Regards,

Abhin

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events