cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[bitbucket] best practice and visual studio integration query

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2012

Hi,

As recently announced EOL for fisheye support, we have migrated repository to bitbucket.org.

Now, I have gone through the some of documentation but, have some usage query as below:

1. As per best practice to work on bibucket repository, Is it ok if everyone in team takes clone repository for master branch (created in bitbucket team account) and work locally and commit & push the changes to Master branch.

(as there is common development for the team)

OR,

Every one in team have to create own branch from Master branch and merge the branch to the Master branch. (Even though team is working for common version only.)

2. To associate issue with jira issue, we will need to follow as below:

INT-1 file is committed for validation.

where INT-1 is jira issue number.

Now, support we want to associate more then one issue to single checked in. then, how i could associate.

3. Any best tool to integrate with visual studio. So,In visual studio, I can see the checked in or checked out icons against the file as like SVN -(Ankh plugin).

I have integrated GitExtension with visual studio but unable to find it.

Thank You,

Dhaval Soni

1 answer

0 votes
aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2012

Hello,

In general, it is best practice to either work from branches or forks for day to day development. This is due to the ways that Git is different from the old SVN model. In svn, each time a user commits, their work is immediately going into the main line of the repo. Then if another user tries to commit, their work will go after the other work. Everything requires communication with the central server, and every commit is stacked against the last.

Git is entirely different. Users can make many commits locally, even huge changes, before pushing that set of commits up to the central server. Trying to apply the old SVN style of work to this will result in every push requiring a pull and merge from the main repo.

For the DVCS Connector, you can mention as many issues as you'd like in your commit message.

For Visual Studio, I'm not sure about the best tool for the job. Hopefully one of our other members of the community can chime in on that one.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 5, 2012

Thanks for your comments.

Does it mean, best pracise would recommond to create "Branches" for each user and integrate with master branch on particular time ?

By following this way (i.e. create branch for each user), I am afraiding for conflicts and in our case, we all work for common and no any separate development and it could happen many times to work on a file where just previously worked by other developer. so, there r conflict chances if both the developer continue to work on single file in own branches and when, finally, merge with master branch then conflict could occur.

So, I think, all team memebers would have to create clone for master repository and continue to pull the changes before work and push the files as followed in SVN.

Please share your advise or recommandation for above comments.

For DVCS connector, multiple Issues in single commit:

Can you please provide me example syntax so, it could useful.

For visual studio integration, It would be useful if any one can advise best tool for integration.

Thank You

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2012

In addition to above, please also let me know for below points:

1. How to create a Tag or assign lable for stable repository or particular version repository.

2. function of fork repository

Thanks

aMarcus
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2012

The way Git handles merging is VERY different and not nearly as complicated as the old SVN way. It would be quite lengthly to explain how branches and forks work here though. Instead, you should check out out Bitbucket 101 which covers the basic workflow for most people including why you would use a fork. Then, read the Git book. It is probably one of the best resources out there today that explains how to do nearly everything in Git, in a very simple and straightforward way.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events