bash: docker: command not found

Folke Byfors September 21, 2021

According to the documentation -> 

https://support.atlassian.com/bitbucket-cloud/docs/run-docker-commands-in-bitbucket-pipelines/

it says that there is two ways to use docker in your pipeline. I have tested both of them,

both having set 

options:
docker: true

as well as

services:
- postgres
- elasticsearch
- redis
- jobqueue
- docker

but still when using 

script:
- docker version

I still get the message "bash: docker: command not found". 

According to the documentation this should work out of the box, or what am I missing?

I am using a self hosted runner. Could this be a culprit to my issues? 

1 answer

0 votes
Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2021

Hi, @Folke Byfors! Welcome to the community! 

Based on the details you shared with us, it seems that the PATH variable is the issue. Could you please check if you have set up the PATH variable as Workspace/Repository or deployment variable?

As you can see in this documentation, if we configure a pipeline variable with the name PATH, we might break all the pipeline steps. This happens because the shell uses PATH to find commands, so if we replace its usual list of locations, then commands like docker won't work anymore. 

A simple solution is to rename the variable 'PATH' to something else, for example, 'PIPELINE_PATH'. 

Please try this and let me know how it goes. 

Kind regards,
Caroline

Folke Byfors November 1, 2021

Unfortunately the path was not the issue. I have since then moved in a different direction. 

Regards
Folke

Caroline R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2021

Hi, @Folke Byfors

In case it hasn’t been resolved, I see you have access to a Premium workspace, so if the repository in question is under this workspace, you can open a ticket with us through the following link:

In "What can we help you with?" select "Technical issues and bugs" and then Bitbucket Cloud as the product. In "What is your workspace URL?", make sure to give the URL of the premium workspace.

The support ticket will be visible only to you and Atlassian staff, and with an open support ticket, the engineer handling your case will be able to access the repository and investigate this issue.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Caroline

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events