Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows service does not start after upgrade

marekvse October 7, 2015

I followed the upgrade instructions for Bitbucket but despite that the old Stash Windows service was not uninstalled and replaced with a new Bitbucket service as I would have expected. Or at least I would think that the old service will be starting the new version. However, to run Bitbucket currently on my server I have to manually stop the old service and then run the startup_bitbucket.bat from the installation directory to make it run. Jira service works correctly as before the upgrade.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
William Zanchet [Atlassian]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2015

Hi Marek,

May I ask you, if you tried to do the steps that are listed in this documentation?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/running-bitbucket-server-as-a-windows-service-776640048.html

Cheers,

WZ

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 11, 2015

Hi Marek,

you might have a look at the service itself. I had the same problem and solved it by deregistering the service and register the service again - as the old service still used tomcat7 instead of tomcat8 ...

marekvse October 11, 2015

Thanks Johannes. That was part of the problem. For some reason, I'm having, on that particular system, problems with server variables set to JDK as opposed to JRE or vice versa. I'm running 4 Atlassian products on that machine and it seems that much earlier in time they did not like sitting next to each other too much. :) I usually have to fiddle with the environment variables as well as reinstalling the services manually. But since I do not have 2 days to play with this every time I upgrade I do upgrade at most once a year and by then I can't even remember what was wrong before. And since I do not know much about JAVA I usually need help unfortunately. Once again, thanks for yours. We solved it with the help of Atlassian Support.

Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 11, 2015

We had recently also a lot of problems with messed up JAVA_PATHes and pointers to wrong JVMs . We also resolved it with the help of support - maybe this allowed the support to solve your problems faster ... Have fun!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events