Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is "Close branch after the pull request is merged" disabled?

Murray Long August 13, 2013

Using Mecurial+Bitbucket.

When creating a pull request from fork1 branch1, to the parent repository's default branch, the "Close branch after the pull request is merged" option is disabled.

Why's that?

2 answers

1 vote
Trevor Dearham July 10, 2015

The reason it is grey out is because you prevented bookmark deletion. This seems to be a bug, as the documentation states that "you can also prevent users from deleting branches (Git) or bookmarks (Mercurial)", which might be equating branches with bookmarks, even though the Branch Management page states the following: "These rules only apply to bookmarks. Users can still close a branch; closing a branch does not remove it from history."

I've added an issue about this problem.

1 vote
m
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 13, 2013

If you are pulling a request across branches, you can have the option to close the branch when your request is merged. Whether you have this option depends on whether the repository is Git or Mercurial. Mercurial repositories always have this option. Git repositories have this option if the repo administrator allows it; Otherwise, the option is greyed out.

This is in the Bitbucket documentation on this page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Work+with+pull+requests</span<>>

Murray Long August 13, 2013

Thanks Mary,

I am pulling across branches, and the repository is Mercurial, yet the option is still greyed out.

Does it make a difference that I'm pulilng from a different fork as well as a different branch?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events