Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Bitbucket so antiquated? (2GB repository size)

Swapit Limited September 18, 2017

We completely don't understand this limit nor your explanation that you want to provide fast access, etc.

A 2GB limit sounds almost like from Windows 95 days when you couldn't have a file larger than that. Nowadays, storage (even cloud storage) is cheap, bandwidth is fast and affordable, computing power is available in abundance. 

So why do you really still limit the repository size to 2GB?

(A Facebook-style company with a single large repository could never host its source code on Bitbucket. Yet, aren't these the poster-childs you'd like to have as customers?) 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2017

I'm guessing you are talking about Cloud Bitbucket, which is aimed mostly at small to medium sized organisations who don't want to run their own hardware, and expect some speed and flexibility in what the products give them.  There are moves to try to increase the Cloud offerings for larger users, but it's not going to happen soon.

2Gb repositories for larger organisations is currently an area where Atlassian would be looking to sell you Server editions - ones you run yourself on bigger servers, and eventually scaling up to Bitbucket Data Centre which would consider 2Gb to be "a minor repo".

Swapit Limited September 18, 2017

Perhaps there is an extra fee for something like "Cloud Bitbucket Plus" or so? 

I just mean, if we wanted to host it ourselves, we could have done so from the onset. On Google Cloud Platform we get 50 GB Storage even in the free tier. I don't mind paying for your service, but the 2GB repository limit is just nothing for today's world.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 19, 2017

Not that I know of.  It's not intended for large repositories at the moment.  You'd need to ask Atlassian what the plans are for the future (I'm just an end user, like you).

Contact https://support.atlassian.com/contact to ask them directly.

Fricco January 30, 2018

Agree that 2GB is not a real corporate solution, and as everything now is "moving to the cloud" if I have to go again to my upper management to explain that we will need to host our Bitbucket servers (as I had to do with Bamboo) they will for sure tell me to go and look for any other provided out there that has a Cloud version of git...

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events