Why does "Sync Now" want to merge staging into my branch? I would never want this to happen.

John Varady January 22, 2020

sync_now.PNG

My staging branch is where devs merge code to test. If they were to click the "Sync Now" link it would pollute their dev branch with all kinds of stuff that we do not *ever* want to be in there. I can understand syncing the master branch into their dev branch, but not any other branch.

How can I turn this option off?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
jarredc
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

thanks for the feedback, John. I can see why it would be useful to disable that functionality in certain circumstances. I'll give this some thought and put it into our backlog

John Varady January 24, 2020

Thanks jarredc. That would be awesome and prevent crossing the streams on dev work.

0 votes
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2020

Hi @John Varady , welcome to the Community!

Just to clarify, for your workflow do you?:

• Branch off master for your feature branch
  • Target your feature branch against staging in your pull request

Thank you

John Varady January 24, 2020

Hello Tyler - yes that is the workflow we are using. 

We have a staging branch that deploys to a server where devs will push code for client approval. This code may need a few revisions before the client accepts it and the staging branch could contain work for many features in development.

Once the client approves the work, the dev will open a PR to master. If for some reason they clicked the "Sync Now" link, it would pull other feature branches into their branch that may be on staging but not ready for prime time.

Like Tyler T likes this
Tyler T
Atlassian Team
January 24, 2020

Thank you for the detailed explanation about your workflow! This is very helpful. I've shared it with the team that owns this feature.

Like John Varady likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events