Why does bitbucket show the wrong userid for my commits?

David Karr November 1, 2016

I created a new Bitbucket project and repo.  I cloned the empty project, dumped a codebase into it, committed it, and pushed to the server, using the Eclipse Egit interface.  This all worked fine, but I noticed in the commits list on the Bitbucket web site, the "Author" column was not my regular login uid, but a "service account" that I've created for some purposes in the past. I checked my "git config" (both repository and global), and there is nothing that refers to that service account. There is also nothing in my Eclipse preferences that I can find that refers to this service account.

I later made another change on a branch, pushed to that branch, created a pull request, and merged that pull request. The "Author" notations for those changes are almost all correct, using my actual name and userid, only the commits have the wrong userid.

1 answer

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2016

Is the service account linked to your email address by any chance?

David Karr November 1, 2016

Yes, I finally determined today that since Bitbucket is using LDAP, and both my service account and my regular userid are associated with my email address, it's just semi-randomly picking a userid to associate with my email address.  Is there a straightforward way to make it always associate my email address with my regular userid?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2016

I do not think so. Still an open issue: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BSERV-4603

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events