Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I need an atlassian account to use SourceTree 2.2?

Steve Lessard February 16, 2016

I use SourceTree exclusively with our corporate Stash servers; everything is served up in our intranet. Why does SourceTree now require me to have an Attlassian Account in order to use SourceTree with our internal-only servers?

12 answers

6 votes
Graham Bakay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2017

We are moving away from SourceTree because of this completely unnecessary login.

3 votes
Svend Tofte November 29, 2018

Now it wants a Bitbucket account. Jeez.

1 vote
M B October 12, 2017

Our department is migrating from different legacy source control systems to Stash + JIRA, and we were hoping to use SourceTree for our devs. However, we're on a very restrictive network so we can't even see the login page, which makes it impossible to install without jumping through hoops.

New team members who weren't on before 2.0 will now be on-boarded with SmartGit instead and everyone else will switch as they change their PCs. I miss the nice ST commit graphs, and really don't understand the decision to force a logon at install time, especially for clients who are paying a lot for the rest of the Atlassian suite. Yes, we could make a re-jigged ST part of our default image. No, I don't want to have to do that when there are easier alternatives.

1 vote
Richard McDonald August 11, 2017

Agreed. I run a developer environment for a University and automation is key for running a tight devops environment. This isn't just an Ops thing it's also impactful to our developers and not to mention possibly an issue for compliance by requiring students to give them protected information in order to use the service.

Regardless, until they drop this they will not get their product in the hands of future developers. Something to think about if you want to increase brand awareness.

I can see the benefit for those that are indepent devs that don't use a corporate SSO environment but that's not a huge portion of the market. At least create a standalone enterprise installer or add installer options that allow admins to integrate the app with their own cloud or on-prem solutions.

1 vote
Anon Ymous July 28, 2017

Really annoying that I need to register to try this tool out.

So, not really free.

I'll keep looking.

1 vote
Dave Camp July 25, 2017

As a lead developer myself wanting to use this software I can categorically state that I will not buy and use this solely on the grounds of unncessarily requiring to register an account.

1 vote
Johannes Kilian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 16, 2016

Maybe Atlassian steals a glance at github - and wants to push the usage of their Bitbucket cloud server. As github offers a a gitclient with tight integration to github.com, Atlassian targets to a similar combination of git-client (SourceTree) and git-server (Bitbucket cloud) as github does.

0 votes
Hua Soon SIM [Akeles]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
June 10, 2019

I think the reason is because of better integration.

With the account set up, SourceTree can automatically log into Bitbucket Server to get the list of projects and repos that you can see. Users can easily clone the repo locally without having to copy and paste the urls.

Having said that, I feel that users should have the option to bypass this step if they do not require such features.

Deleted user August 17, 2019

Users should have an option to buy Sourcetree the product without any further leash to Atlassian.

If they make good products, they'll get business. Dragging people in like this is very unique within the software world, and I would see it as a losing strategy.

Unfortunately, Sourctree's branch visualization is the best I know, so I'm bending my knees and kissing the Atlassian ring. But internally... I revolt!!! :E

0 votes
Stefan Wehrli February 8, 2019

I used sourcetree for years and now it asks for creating a bitbucket cloud account before you can complete the installation ?!?! what is that? it was such a cool software and as many time in history some big company need to ruin it?? why? please drop that forced registration!! wont use it anymore / old version where it was not necessary yet...

0 votes
Talking Frog Studios May 3, 2018

We have a new product released using SourceTree for the version control interface. I go out to create another repository for a new project and I am forced to sign up for an Atlassian account. Absurd, I'll go elsewhere, I do not like companies that play 'profit games'. It's like a 'bait and switch' sales tactic.

0 votes
Niharika Konduri February 19, 2017

I'd like to say coming into a new company and convincing the dev's to even look at JIRA and Stash/Bitbucket server, only to have the awkward "sign up" process for each and every team member for sourcetree has kind of screwed adoption of JIRA. Which sucks considering what that means for my projects and teams. 

0 votes
Seth
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2016

Atlassian is trying to move towards a one-account-across-all-services model. Obviously Stash isn't included in those services, but apparently they think the SourceTree registration should be. As far as I can tell, that's all they used the account for when I put in the information - they didn't try to immediately link up Bitbucket Cloud or anything like that.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events