Why are the commits I make from my own PC shown as unknown?

Mastaneh NA November 20, 2014

I have already set my global username/email and a repository specific username/email from the SourceTree terminal and it works for the web updates. But still the commits I make from my own PC are shown as unknown to myself and my teammates. How can I fix this problem? Also, the terminal shows my commands under my PC's name, could it be the cause of this problem?

Thanks in advance!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alan Parkinson [Hindsight Software]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2014

The "unknown" and using your PC's name would suggest that your own PC's local copy of the git repository doesn't have an email configured.

On your own PC open a terminal and `cd` to your git repository. Run the following the command to config your email address.

`git config --global user.email "MY_NAME@example.com"`

To make your old commits display the correct user you can add an alias for your PC's name in your BitBucket repository: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Set+your+username+for+Bitbucket+actions#SetyourusernameforBitbucketactions-Aliasconfiguration 

Mastaneh NA November 27, 2014

Thank you, Alan! It did help to solve my problem. Also, I had forgot to set the name from SourceTree/Options.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events