Which AWS EC2 instance type is best suited or recommended for Stash?

SA August 4, 2014

We will soon be moving our Atlassian Stash instance from a creaking VM to an Amazon AWS EC2 instance.

What kind of an instance type should I be looking at?

There's T2 (burst performance), M3 (balanced), C3 (compute) and R3 (memory). Which of these is best suited for Stash? I don't actually know whether Stash is more memory intensive, IOPS intensive or CPU intensive (or all!)

The installation will be serving about 30-40 developers. I'm also planning on installing Jira and Confluence on the same machine, if that makes a difference to the answer.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tiago Comasseto
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2014

Hi Shah, based on my personal experience with support cases, the only type of AWS instance that I'd not recommend is the micro instance.

Apart of it, I believe that it's very difficult to precise which one is best for you as it'll depend on a number of variables other than number of users. In any case, we have the following sizing guide for JIRA that you may be insterested in taking a look and it may help to define your hardware requirements.

I hope it helps.

Cheers

SA August 4, 2014

Hello, your sizing guide definitely helps a lot; I will look at T2 or M3 instances falling somewhere between the small and mid-scale specs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events